Review of The Poker Player

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Review of The Poker Player

Post by Emeka Emordi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Poker Player" by Don Coffman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Poker Player is an exciting work of fiction that borders on the special gifts of an ex-military man, Michael. This book is philosophical, educational, suspenseful, and pulling. Get ready for your buttons to be pushed by the content of this book by Don Coffman.

Michael had been on his balcony when he saw a strange man, who would later be called The Poker Player. When he noticed him, he passed out and woke up feeling a burning thirst at the back of his throat, a feeling that will plague him throughout the book. Along with this thirst came the special gift of vision. It's hard to believe, but he had no choice but to accept his fate. This pushed Michael to look for an explanation for all these happenings in his life. Turk took him to Tamar, a card reader and neuropsychiatrist. Things never remain the same from this point on. Waves fall on waves, action enters into action, and the reader gets glued to the book, solving the mystery along with Michael as he embarks on finding the girl he has been seeing in his dreams. How did it end? Why don't you follow Michael in this mystery too? Get your copy now and get pulled in!

The author did a fantastic job with the plot of this book. The Poker Player, Harry's insight, and Tamar's inspiration all work to push Michael's buttons, which the readers find themselves doing as well. In all these ways, he gets all the support he needs from Turks, his best buddy; Tusdae, the Uber driver; and Em, in finding his dream girl.

As the good Michael did in the lives of the people he met comes to his life, we see things opening up gradually. Everyone that Michael met, he used his gift to affect their lives positively, while others do not want to be helped because we can't help everyone except those that want to be helped. At times, we just need to push the right buttons in people, and the beauty of their lives will bloom. And again, it is not every button we can push because the less we talk, the more we see, just like the poetic owl. There are many concepts that were discussed in this book, but the most resounding ones are self-love and self-forgiveness.

The characters are well thought out and easy to relate to, and each one has a lot to teach us about life. My favorite was the witty and wise Harry. Despite all the theory based on the spiritualist concepts of heaven, hell, and God and some biblical scientific interpretations, he stood firm in his belief that there is a God and there is an afterlife. I like this because, in my opinion, it's better to believe there is a God and a place called heaven and hell, and eventually, after everything, the concept of spiritualism holds true, rather than to hold onto the spiritualist's theory, and at the end, there is truly a God and an afterlife. However, the explanations Tamar offers on these issues are insightful, especially the "30 seconds after death" concept.

Each chapter also starts with a Bible verse. Somehow, these Bible verses point to what will happen in the chapter. This is genius, in my opinion. The author used this to grab my attention and put my mind and brain to work as I read. When I got to the last 100 pages of this book, I felt the pull stronger than before, as the suspense kept getting hotter as I pushed through the pages. I screamed at some points, especially the moments when Michael beat The Poker Player and when Michael got to know who The Poker Player is. I don't know how Don did it, but I must say that is genius.

There is nothing you can tell me. Turk and Michael are the best buddies I have ever read about this year. No wonder Tamar mentioned that destiny brought them together. Their conversation is witty. You can never get bored reading their lines. They are well developed, and I can imagine which actor can perfectly fit into their roles if this book is to be adapted to the big screen. Their character is flawless, smooth, and humorous.

There is nothing to dislike about this book. I found one error while reading, and that made me conclude that this book is professionally edited. Because of the points mentioned earlier, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of poker. I will also recommend it to mature audiences that love to read a good book with a reader-driven plot. There is no doubt; you will get pulled, as I did while reading this book.

The Poker Player
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

I enjoy fictional books alot and I think this will be one of the most interesting ones. I love the review from start to finish. Good job.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I don't think this is my kind of book but I can give it a try because your review has made me feel reading the book. Good job.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

If I'm allowed to pick my favorite I will say Michael because of how he displayed his attributes in the book. Good job. Keep it up.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Nowhere to Hide by Jude Austin

Post by Merits Anih »

The book's use of Bible verses at the start of each chapter is a unique and interesting approach that grabs the reader's attention. Your mention of feeling a stronger pull towards the end of the book shows how well the author built up the suspense and excitement.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

It's great to hear that the book has a mystery that the reader can solve along with the main character, making it an interactive and engaging read. The fact that the author did a fantastic job with the plot of the book shows the author's dedication to crafting a compelling story.
Michael Browny
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-browny.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Michael Browny »

The fact that the book is recommended for lovers of poker and mature audiences makes it easier for readers to determine if it's a good fit for them. Your appreciation of the witty and wise character Harry shows how well the author crafted their personality and added depth to the story.
David Offdavis
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-offdavis.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by David Offdavis »

It's great to hear that the book's characters are easy to relate to, making it easier for readers to become invested in their stories. The fact that the book has flawless and humorous characters adds a lighter and more entertaining touch to the story.
reviewerbook17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerbook17.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by reviewerbook17 »

This is an exciting work of fiction and I recommend it to those who love poker. I would love to try it out.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”