Review of In the Shadow of an Irish God

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephine Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephine-mercy.html
Latest Review: In the Shadow of an Irish God by SD Barry

Review of In the Shadow of an Irish God

Post by Josephine Mercy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In the Shadow of an Irish God" by SD Barry.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In The Shadow of an Irish God was written by SD Barry. Jack, a fourteen-year-old boy who attends Saint Dominicus, had trouble comprehending his body's physical and hormonal changes. Fortunately for him, while making a newspaper delivery, Jack happens to meet Samuel, a man in a wheelchair. Samuel will lead Jack along a path that will help him fully comprehend the rapid changes he is going through. This book will reveal a great deal about adolescence. It details the changes males experience and how to cope with them.

Also, Jack's response towards Catholic beliefs was severely treated in this book. Jack would receive the honors of going to the seminary. He was the candidate for the priesthood due to his excellent manner of conduct. Would Jack gleefully accept this offer? In this informative book, you'll learn the route Jack chooses to walk.

This book captures the beautiful moments of Samuel and Jack. This is a fascinating and enlightening section I looked forward to reading throughout the entire book. Samuel and Jack had a wonderful relationship. I commend how Jack was always eager to learn from Samuel. Samuel was also enthralled by Jack's wonderful personality as well.

This novel is the culmination of prejudice against colored people like Samuel. The character of Jack was used to correct this aspect. Jack's relationship with Samuel and Marita demonstrates the uniqueness of everyone, irrespective of their colors. This book also makes it clear how crucial it is for parents to be involved in their kids' lives and activities. Jack's parents were a positive influence on him. This book promoted modesty and respect for women. It covers male sexual advances toward women, as well as other related issues.

The fascinating aspect of this book is how it addresses some doctrines taught by the Catholics. An instance of this was purgatory, as was explained in the book. Jack found himself in a situation where he struggled to believe and practice portions of this doctrine. The church and his school have inculcated the wrong ideology about who God really is. Jack's animosity toward the church was a result of the nuns' portrayal of God as cruel and vindictive. Jack constantly feels as though he has wronged God and is not deserving of his presence.

I found nothing displeasing about this book. This book seems professionally edited. I found a few errors while reading. In The Shadow of an Irish God by SD Barry deserves a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars. It is recommended that all young adults read this book. There is a lot to learn. This book's conclusion struck a balance.

In the Shadow of an Irish God
View: on Bookshelves
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”