Review of The Second Coming

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Review of The Second Coming

Post by Emeka Emordi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Second Coming" by E.L. Smith.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"God works in mysterious ways." This is one of the factors that brings Shawn Abernathy and Samuel Turner together. Both characters are meant to cross paths and jointly bring salvation to humanity. E. L. Smith's The Second Coming gives a fictional representation of how the last days on earth will be, especially based on the biblical book of Revelation and Everything Goes Book of Decrees, enacted in 538 AD.

In the future, when rapture creeps upon the entire world and people are plunged into an agonizing journey to save themselves from eternal damnation, many people find themselves falling. Until the day of the bright Morning Star, after the seven years of tribulation, how will Shawn and Samuel save their families and friends from the grip of the Antichrist as he continues to deceive unsuspecting humans? Or will they eventually succumb to the antichrist's antics before the rise of the bright Morning Star?

The Second Coming has many positive aspects. First, it is a book that serves as a wake-up call to Christians to gird themselves for their heavenly race and to also prepare themselves for the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Another good thing about this book is that through the experiences of the characters, readers' faith will be strengthened, and they will learn to brace themselves in the face of challenges and trials. This book is here to give them hope.

The characters in this book are well developed. They are dynamic and grow through the story. Shawn grows from a spoilt young man who loved flirting with women into a responsible Christian male detective. Samuel grows from childhood into a witty and funny young adolescent boy bursting with big dreams and expectations. One of my favorite moments was when Samuel and Eric were role-playing as a reporter and a live witness to a natural disaster. I found this to be strategic comic relief in the book.

The events of the plot chronologically follow one another and move at a steady pace. I did not have to get confused about any incident or activity. I thoroughly understood everything going on in the book. Smith's book is informative as well as realistic because it shows most of the issues going on in the world currently. For instance, issues bordering on vices that plague the world presently, as it has been foretold in the Bible, like oppression, war, natural disasters, corruption, terrorism, racism, etc.

This book is also didactic. It teaches lessons and gives one the zeal to find one's purpose in life through the experiences of characters like Shawn and Samuel. For me, this part was the climax and filled me with surges of expectation. I was praying fervently for Shawn to eventually find Samuel, with nothing bad happening to either of them. At the end, I learned that God's goodwill toward his chosen ones prevails no matter the circumstances.

The Second Coming was so exceptionally written that I found it difficult to tag it with anything negative because I could not even find any.

I came across only two errors that are easily negligible and was convinced that the book was thoroughly proofread and professionally edited. As a result, The Second Coming by E. L. Smith deserves a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to Christian readers, as it will aid them in strengthening their faith in God and retracing their steps as well. They will also have a glimpse into what they should prepare themselves for as regards eternity. They will also have a glimpse into what they should prepare themselves for as regards eternity. This is a good fictional novel with a reader-driven plot that non-Christians who do not care about biblical terms would enjoy.

The Second Coming
View: on Bookshelves
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Christians and non-Christians can learn a lot from this book. It is a call to action. A call to act right before God.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The second coming of God is near or even here already. We just don't know or accept the truth. As a Christian, I did my best that my behavior aligns with the teachings of God so that in His second coming, I will be in the right hand of God. I hope that Samuel and Shawn will turn to God now and at the end of time. Your review is superb!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

Wow what an introduction, indeed God works in mysterious ways and he does things that please him any time in a manner that we can't comprehend. Good job.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

The starting of the review is what captured my attention. God works in mysterious ways and even the devil knows that. I love this book.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

The summary of this review is interesting I think the book will be highly interesting. I will read the book. Good job on your work.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Americas Revival by Kathryn Garten and Christopher Garten

Post by Merits Anih »

The title of the book is intriguing and draws the reader in. It's a great example of how a well-chosen title can pique the reader's interest. The fact that the book is focused on a specific time period and setting (the 1970s Air Force Academy) gives it a unique and interesting perspective.
Last edited by Merits Anih on 27 Mar 2023, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

I appreciate that you took the time to mention the comic relief in the book, as I always appreciate moments of levity in otherwise serious stories. It's good to know that The Second Coming strikes a good balance between seriousness and humor.
Michael Browny
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-browny.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Michael Browny »

Based on your review, I would definitely be interested in reading The Second Coming, as I am always on the lookout for books that strengthen my faith and provide guidance for my spiritual journey.
David Offdavis
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-offdavis.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by David Offdavis »

Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review, and for sharing your thoughts and insights about The Second Coming. You have convinced me that this book is definitely worth checking out!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”