Review of Xylene X Band

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of Xylene X Band

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Xylene X Band" by Charles Harvey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Xylene X Band by Charles Harvey is a 28-chapter fiction book that tells a story of the growth, acceptance, and freedom of the characters. It tells the story of X-Band members. But the focus is on Joe Ecks, the band leader, as all the characters are connected through him. The story starts with Joe Ecks having a "seizure" in the middle of mixing one of the band's songs. His personality undergoes a serious change after that. The new personality is more in tune with his social side, and he is now a better person to his bandmates, wife, and others characters. This Joe, although a better person, is not Joe Ecks, as he cannot play any instrument or sing like he used to. The story follows how Joe and the band navigate the issue of him not being Joe Ecks and how to get him back to being a top-notch artist.

The book shows the characters getting to know the new Joe, being conflicted on whether they preferred this Joe or if he was manipulating them, and finally seeing him as his new personality and not constantly comparing him to old Joe. Through Joe’s interactions, the book shows what a good work relationship looks like. Joe’s progress as a character also shows how beneficial healthy relationships with people can be. What started as “rock fiction” turned into something more heartfelt, with the characters taking up more heart space than I thought possible.

This book has its notable positive aspects. I liked how vividly the author described the band members playing their instruments; an example is when Bill describes the songs to Joe using his piano to replicate each instrument. I liked how the author weaved the lyrics of various songs into the book and explained the meaning behind some of the lyrics. Angie was my favorite character, and her growth from a scared, constrained wife to one who could freely express herself and believe in herself was a sight to behold.

The band members also had a notable growth pattern; they grew out of old Joe's shadow and were no longer just props in the background of Joe's shine. I loved new Joe's optimism in the face of anything. Negative emotions never lasted with him. I also liked how Joe and Angie's love developed. The author perfectly portrayed them like they were teenagers in love.

As much as I liked Xylene X Band, I have some critiques. Joe's Southern accent threw me off. At first, I thought they were constant grammatical errors. Another downside was that the first half of the book failed to hold my interest. I understand that the author was introducing the characters and the situation, but the choppy start detracted from my reading experience. The major critique of this book is the improper use of punctuation marks and lack of proper sentence construction in some chapters.

Xylene X Band is perfect for teenagers and young adults, especially adults interested in rock bands. Joe and Angie’s romance might appeal to romance fans. My rating is 3 out of 5 stars because of the book’s punctuation and sentence construction issues. I can safely say this book did not receive professional editing. I removed a second star because of the book’s slow start.

Xylene X Band
View: on Bookshelves
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I'm interested to know how Joe's friends navigate him on his old work as an artist. This could be an intriguing part of the book. Your review is awesome!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”