Official Review: Once in a Blue Year by Michael D. Durkota

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Once in a Blue Year by Michael D. Durko

Post by jenjayfromSA »

This sounds fascinating. I love multi-layered characters and submarine stories, so here I have a two in one. As an extra bonus anything about soldiers/sailors deploying back home and having to adjust to a new normal rings a huge bell. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.
Elizabeth Wangui
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 118

Post by Elizabeth Wangui »

This book shows us how military face the evil spirits. Its also good to know more about demons. Congrats.
huzaifabaaz
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by huzaifabaaz »

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Excellent writing. The characters were all very real to me. It provides a unique look at war in general and the submarine service in particular; the focus on the families left behind was intriguing. Highly recommended.
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

I like how your review talks about how the writing is both brilliant and slow. It's important to acknowledge things like that in a novel and I appreciate it. :D
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Papercut
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Papercut »

It sounds a great book! It explores more of the characters' standpoints rather the plot itself. Like the book review by the way!
Lucy Nasimiyu
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-nasimiyu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Lucy Nasimiyu »

Thanks for the great review. The story does bring out the psychological effects of military life on the people involved in military careers and those around them. I am happy I managed to get a copy of the book and I cant wait to finish reading it.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Xenos
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Xenos »

:tiphat: Great review, I think this should be one of my big books in my shelf, since am a military fun.
I love the heading, it blends well with story line.
I give it 4stars.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Well sometimes it is quiet frustrating if the pace of the story is slow. But you have done a great job. It will be interesting to read this novel.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

The review is awesome, written in a way that makes it inevitable to read the book. But then again, the navy, deployments and all that are topics I am not find of but I really do appreciate the review.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Halimatafolasade
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Halimatafolasade »

A great & indepth review on human psyche! Great work by Michael D. Durkota!
salome akinyi

Post by salome akinyi »

Levi wrote:Fantastic review, Owlie!! You have such great form while still showing personality, and I really admire that. I like how you highlighted the flawless imagery and lyrical writing style as I have missed that lately. Maybe I should give this book a read soon. Thanks, Owlie!
Karolin
Currently Reading: Kardok vihara
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolin.html
Latest Review: "Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana" by James Mace

Post by Karolin »

Excellent review! A thousand times better than the usual book summaries. The topic sounds interesting and I think it's rare nowadays to find books written in beautiful, lyrical style bordering on poetry. For that alone I should read this. I guess :techie-studyingbrown:
“I’m an introvert ... I love being by myself, love being outdoors, love taking a long walk with my dogs and looking at the trees, flowers, the sky.” - Audrey Hepburn
Latest Review: "Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana" by James Mace
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

This is my first time reading a review from this forum and my mind is blown, WOW!! Okay I'd love for all the books i read to have a review of this kind so i know what i am getting myself into. Not a big fan of reading novels on this genre military life and missions and the heartbreak of lonely wives and kids, it's a little depressing. However beautifully written, this review still has not convinced me but i will try to skim through the book. :eusa-think:
salome akinyi

Post by salome akinyi »

this is just awesome the plot of the novel is interesting.The lyrical styles used are great and the emotional focuse on the families and friends is also a big deal.Great job Michael D. Dorkota
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

Once in a Blue Year by Michael D. Durkota is a psychological War in the Gulf, Navy story-line including struggles and those life affects. I like the rating of 3.5 stars. This book makes a lighter side of my summer reading.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”