Official Review: Once in a Blue Year by Michael D. Durkota

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Official Review: Once in a Blue Year by Michael D. Durko

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

Great work! The review is such enchanting, I think this book is such an interesting one following your review despite some a few issues you have spotted out. I hope I'll enjoy it as well.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
OmololaAK
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by OmololaAK »

It's interesting to see the gap between how men and women see military duty in this book. And the fact that mental and emotional issues affect everybody a great deal, even the soldier. Good review
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Congratulations for the excellent review. I am interested to read about the adjustments of Dan outside the navy. This is something that families with a military or navy member must read because they may find comfort from it or inspiration to journey with their family member who is transitioning to the normalcy of life.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the review! This book sounds intriguing and I love psychological novels. The fact that you were still thinking about the characters after means it must be a great book, too bad about the slowness though. :P
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Very well written review Bookowlie! I myself would like to read fast paced novels but since this is the author's debut novel, I will give the author a lot of leeway and read Once in a Blue Year by Michael D. Durkota from cover to cover. :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
KremenaKroumova
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kremenakroumova.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by KremenaKroumova »

Very good review, very profoud and explicit! I already want to get to know Dan and Trevor! The book seems a touching and deep soul traveling and I like that!
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by shish_by_design »

The book sounds interesting enough, too bad that its slow pace detract from its desirability. like you, I'm more of a fast pace reader.
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

I haven't really read any of these books before. I hear about the turmoil military families can deal with, but haven't read much about it. This is a great and informative review, congrats!
salwamsa
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Bookshelf Size: 14
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by salwamsa »

For a debuting author I love the suspense, the fabulous emotions- touching, feeling. The feeling of peace; in and out; that the author made you , not just feel it but actually live that peace they were in. And then suddenly, he plunged you into an abyss of contrasting emotions. The depths of emotional torment of a soldier/navy officer have been handled before, but not two or more, and not with this depth of feeling. Even though, the pace is slow, and I love fast, but this is the only way it can be handled; in my opinion; since he is dealing in emotions versus life not action.
wollareh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wollareh »

fantastic book.i truly love it
DaveKehara
Currently Reading: City of Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by DaveKehara »

Wow! Quite a review. My own nephew joined the US army two years ago and has been home to see his young family only twice. Being Kenyan where my nephew originated, I very easily connect with the thrust of the review. Trevor and Dan, away from active duty, one back to the barracks and the other to s friend's house must be a book worth reading. Coping with exceptional circumstances is a subject I'm interested in. How Trevor and Dan handle their situation carries a lesson for me as I transit from public service to retirement. I'm am a little disappointed that Heather's story isn't fully developed in the story but I'll read the book all the same and recommend it to my nephew's wife. The tie is inviting...

-- 15 Jul 2017, 00:28 --

Wow! Quite a review. My own nephew joined the US army two years ago and has been home to see his young family only twice. Being Kenyan where my nephew originated, I very easily connect with the thrust of the review. Trevor and Dan, away from active duty, one back to the barracks and the other to s friend's house must be a book worth reading. Coping with exceptional circumstances is a subject I'm interested in. How Trevor and Dan handle their situation carries a lesson for me as I transit from public service to retirement. I'm am a little disappointed that Heather's story isn't fully developed in the story but I'll read the book all the same and recommend it to my nephew's wife. The title is inviting...
Yousuf Amir
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yousuf Amir »

Its a really good book, this book was very well-written and thought-provoking. Staying on a submarine for 3 months or more is a really difficult task to do, very interesting, it tells about the war and many other things, you guys must read it.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Fantastic review, I loved your objective approach.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Nyawera Gikaru
Currently Reading: The Worst Pet Peeve Ever
Bookshelf Size: 184

Post by Nyawera Gikaru »

Reading about how military struggle with their demons sounds interesting it clearly shows how humans are.
Oluchukwu Francisca
Currently Reading: The Golden Bowl
Bookshelf Size: 143

Post by Oluchukwu Francisca »

The book focus on one who was eager to be off the submarine and the other who could not wait to go back

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”