Official Review: Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Official Review: Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

Post by sahmoun2778 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Border Post 99” is a poignant story that reminds us that the connections between individuals can be more powerful than the conflicts between governments. This is a short story that takes place in the middle of the India-Pakistan conflict but after the official Partition of the two countries.

Sharma is a young Indian man, fresh out of military school. His first posting is to Border Post 99, a spot in no-man’s land along the border with Pakistan. His biggest concern when he gets there is the isolation, it’s just him at this post for the next 6 weeks, and homesickness. He is in a heavily forested area with a stream running through it, the stream being the border. He is instructed not to shoot at the Pakistanis but don’t let anything happen as there are negotiations going on in Delhi and his superiors do not want any conflict. His post is not on any official map and officially he is not there. He receives a drop off of food and mail once a week. The first couple of days he patrols the stretch of land as instructed and nothing happens.

Khan is a seasoned military man in the Pakistan army. He has just received a posting to no-man’s land. He is not expecting anything to happen, and spends his time daydreaming about his wife and telling his superiors, on their daily calls, that everything is all right. Khan also receives a weekly care package with food and letters from home. Then the day comes when he sees someone on the other side of the stream. Khan and Sharma have spotted each other and are both hiding behind rocks with rifles pointed at the enemy. Both have been instructed not to shoot so they go on about their business. A couple of days later Khan finds Sharma unconscious from fever where he collapsed by the side of the stream. He decides not to kill him but sabotages some of his equipment. This begins a series of somewhat comical back-and-forth retaliations.

What ultimately transpires between these two men is an example of humanity winning out over hatred. I found this story to be beautifully written and well edited which made it a really fun read. Some of their actions are almost comical as Sharma, with his inexperience, and Khan, with his “I just want to get through this and go back to my wife” attitude start to interact with each other. I really enjoyed both of these characters. They were very believable and the author developed them very well.

I found this story to be inspirational and approachable for any reader. There is no questionable content so even teens and tweens could read it. I highly recommend this story for anyone who loves a good read and I’m giving it a 4 out of 4 star rating.

Border Post 99
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sahmoun2778's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Sahmoun, I enjoyed reading your review! The book sounds unique and interesting. Great writing and well developed characters are always a winning combination in a book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Great review. This book sounds like a good read. The situation definitely sounds like an interesting set up. I might have to add to my To Read list. :)
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

Sahmoun, what a well written review!! I don't say that flippantly, I really enjoyed it. You highlighted the book without giving too much detail, which I find difficult. I love stories like this with people of different backgrounds overcoming their differences, and I will add this one to my list! Great job!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

The storyline seems quite interesting and inspirational. I am definitely going to look out for this one. Good review!
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! It doesn't sound like something I'd like (although it does sound good), but I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

This is a good review, and it sounds like quite an interesting story.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

“Border Post 99” is a poignant story that reminds us that the connections between individuals can be more powerful than the conflicts between governments.
What ultimately transpires between these two men is an example of humanity winning out over hatred.
I like the themes in this book. I'm glad you highlighted them. Nice review!
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

Thank you for this review, it sounds like something that I'd enjoy. Congrats to the author on the rating!
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
kapster00
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kapster00 »

Thanks Sahmoun for a wonderful review for my book "Border Post 99 : No Man's Land". I am truly touched.

Thanks all who appreciated the review and posted their comments. I look forward to your feedback

Kedar
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

I love when I can see characters grow within a book or movie, which in your review you say they did in this book. Congrats for a well-thougt out review and to the author for a well-written story!
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I love the book already. Great review! My favorite part is 'humanity winning out over hatred'. Congratulations to Kedar Patankar for such a wonderful book.
kapster00
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kapster00 »

Thanks a lot :) Look forward to your feedback. Please let me know what you think of it
TJayne89
Currently Reading: The Daylight War
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjayne89.html
Latest Review: "The Jester's Club" by D. E. Zlotnik

Post by TJayne89 »

Not the type of story that I would normally navigate towards ... but thumbs up for the review :text-goodpost:
Latest Review: "The Jester's Club" by D. E. Zlotnik
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

Oh gosh, Pakistan/Indian relations. I grew up in a generation where patriotic movies put Pakistan in a terrible light and in consideration of the politics and events, it made sense. I'm glad this book captured a more positive side aspect of the two. I'm glad more and more people are becoming open to a peaceful relationship. Definitely will put it on my list, thank you for the insightful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”