Review of The High Price of Freeways

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Review of The High Price of Freeways

Post by David Chijindu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The High Price of Freeways" by Judy Juanita.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Black people are unique. There is discrimination among black people due to their skin colour. These discriminations come in different forms giving whites the impression they are superior to blacks. The author uses characters of a confident young woman, a woman who lacks confidence and a woman who has a well-paid job to explain her points.

The High Price of Freeways by Judy Juanita is a book where the author discusses the anthology that traces the evolution of black people living in Oakland. The author shares her experiences as a black-skinned lady residing in Oakland. The author was born in Berkeley, grew up in Oakland and attended the State University of San Francisco. The author got to know about Black Panther during her time at Oakland College. The author discussed how white privilege, exclusionary behaviours and social injustice were still significant issues during that period. The author also shared the positive changes among youths at Oakland College. These changes gave youths freedom, making them more adaptable than those in her time. The author discussed how freedom and gentrification impact young people positively. Read the 314 pages of the book to find out more.

I like some aspects of the book. I love how the author discusses different issues in the book. The author did not focus the book on one topic. Some of the topics in the book are colourism, feminism, social bigotry, gentrification and adaptation. My favourite chapter of the book was Huelbo, where the author shares her experience as an editor of Black Panther after the incident that happened to Bobby Seale. After reading the book, I learned we must have good adaptive skills. To succeed in life, we must develop good adaptive skills. It would help us relate to the people around us. The author adds important dates for different events. For instance, on page 132, the author discusses what happened on the last day of Lovelle Mixon and the date (March 21, 2009).

I did not like some aspects of the book. I found it challenging to understand the abbreviations in the book because their full meaning was not written. For instance, on page 74, the author uses the acronym (FDR), and on page 160, the author uses the acronym (LSD). The author should write the meaning of those abbreviations in the book. It helps avoid ambiguity in any abbreviation.

The book is inspiring, and the author deserves praise for this fantastic piece. The book will deepen a reader's knowledge about racial relations in America. I found two errors in the book, so it is professionally well-edited. Due to the aspects of the book I like, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to anyone who wants to read a nonfiction book on racial discrimination in America.

The High Price of Freeways
View: on Bookshelves
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I am always sad anytime I read about the experiences of the black during the era when racism was high. I salute Judy's courage in fighting through and writing this book. Well done!!!
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

The stories surrounding racism are always saddening, but it is relieving at the same time to know that some were able to pull through. Wonderful review. Well done!!!
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

It is awful to see that racism still exist against black folks. I would like to know what the author have to share about her experience.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”