Review of Masked Intent

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tessie Gachoka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessie-gachoka.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Review of Masked Intent

Post by Tessie Gachoka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masked Intent" by Kimberly Greer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Alexa Winston is no stranger to disappointment and heartbreak: her connection with her birth parents was strained, and the man she married turned out to be a jerk. The sparks fly immediately when she meets the beautiful Mateo, but they are determined to keep their feelings hidden. Mateo eventually decides to pursue Alexa further, but first, he must break past her emotional barriers. As a result, he joins her running group, Renegade Running Club. Alexa, a sweet and easygoing divorcee with three children, has learned to hide her actual sentiments from the rest of the world. She works for a boutique public relations firm and is tasked with assisting a risky client, HedgeCo, which forces her to make contentious decisions that go against her integrity and principles. Alexa is a master at self-deception, failing to see her own secrets and problems that frequently get in the way of her happiness.

Alexa and Mateo's relationship is heading on the right path. Mateo, on the other hand, has a reputation. Mateo's reputation begins to interfere with the couple's relationship as they become closer. This is one of many hindrances as old conflicts from their pasts reemerge. Trent, Alexa's ex-husband; Janeilia, Mateo's ex-fiancee; and Emery, a girl enamored with Mateo, all appear, each with their own motivation. Alexa is also receiving threatening notes. What do these three individuals want from Alexa and Mateo? Why is Alexa under threat? What does any of this have to do with her work situation?

Masked Intent was broken into five sections. Kimberly Greer created a story about the relationship humans encounter with the truth when interacting with others. She highlighted how, in a culture where inauthenticity is routinely accepted as correct, honesty and accountability fall by the wayside. Greer concentrated on how people can be persuaded to do anything without contemplating the truth.

The book's storyline is relatable to me and is supported by memorable characters and well-crafted conflicts. The plot was an engaging story with many twists and turns revolving around Alexa and Mateo's lives. The supporting characters' subplots are similarly well-developed, and the bond between Alexa and the boys is heartfelt and genuine. Alexa's fascinating to me; she is brilliant at devising and executing deceptive strategies at work, whereas keeping her personal life. Mateo and Alexa's love story, from my perspective, was very realistic and relatable. I liked how their love story unfolded among all of their challenges. The manner in which they navigated the issue of self-deception, as well as authenticity, which becomes increasingly elusive when the draw of power and influence takes hold.

I loved the book as it delves into the complexities of marriage and relationships, lost and misplaced love and the emotional torment it causes, deception, denial, regret, second chances, and self-realization. I would recommend the book to those who love women literally fiction and contemporary romance as it is really well written. I give it a 5 out of 5.

Masked Intent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”