Review of Raven Warriors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mozi Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review of Raven Warriors

Post by Mozi Ken »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raven Warriors" by LC Lee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I just realized that being a warrior is tougher than I first thought. While the warriors are doing it more out of devotion and maybe the thrill, it isn't easy for the families. For example, the wife worries most each time her husband has to go to war. She hopes each time he leaves that he comes back safe and sound. This was the life of János and Klára. Read this book, Raven Warriors, by LC Lee.

János, István, and Lael were very good friends that had fought several wars. They were among the Raven Warriors. This was a group of skilled warriors that fought for money. They mostly fought against the Turks. Each time János left for war, he promised his wife that he'd be back safe. He always tried to keep this promise. But one day, he returned to a deserted village. The houses of the villagers were burned. He saw his son in front of the village, seriously wounded. He searched for his wife and the rest of his household, but he didn't find them. He learned from his son that they had been taken. What would János do? His son was wounded and needed to be healed. His wife had been taken and was in danger of being sold. How would he right these wrongs?

This book was interesting to some extent. It was set in the seventeenth century. So I liked the historical setting of the book. The book told the story of János, a Raven warrior. I got to read about the wars he fought, his family life, and his friends. I read of Tadeas, his brother. Tadeas was jealous of him because he seemed to have everything he didn't have. At first, I was suspicious of Yuldus. She was Tadeas' girlfriend. But her actions when Tadeas was seriously wounded subdued my suspicions.

There were several interesting events in this book, but there were things I disliked. When I saw the title of this book, I was intrigued. However, I was disappointed by the plotline. The story was too bland. It maintained a slow and steady pace until the end. Events that were meant to create suspense ended up having a predictable ending. The beginning of the book didn't pique my interest as much as it should. I kept wondering where the story was going. The book also ended abruptly. So I think it should be a sequel to another book after this. Still, the ending was too abrupt, even for a book that is part of a series. The characters were not well-described. For example, I knew that Klára was beautiful, but I didn't have a mental picture of what she might have looked like.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I found some errors. It was professionally edited. I removed a star because of the things I disliked, as stated above. The beginning of the book would discourage some readers from reading it. The book lacked enough suspense. This might be another reason for some readers not to read it. The poor mental picture of the characters would affect the reader's imagination. I recommend this book to those who would enjoy reading about the wartime history of Poland.

Raven Warriors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ntukununu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ntukununu »

The difficulty of becoming a fighter has just dawned on me. It is difficult for the families, even though the fighters are doing it more out of devotion and sometimes for the pleasure. When her husband must go to battle, for instance, the wife is the one who worries the most. Every time he departs, she wishes for his safe return. This was János and Klára's existence. Read LC Lee's book, Raven Warriors.

János, István, and Lael were close buddies who had participated in numerous battles.
Elisabeta dodaj
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elisabeta dodaj »

Interesting blend of Asian martial arts fantasy/legend with a mix of Arthurian legend thrownin for good measure. Interestingly enough this book sometimes reminded me of Forrest Gump with the main character meeting a plethora of well known historical characters.

In the end it was simply a very fun read.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

Such books doesn't appeal to me. However, the plot seems fascinating. Those who loves books like this would enjoy this.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

According to your dislikes, I’m not sure this is a type of book I’ll like to read. It’s a warrior story so it’s supposed to be exciting. Nice review you have there though!
Ann Harun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-harun.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ann Harun »

The plot appears to be intriguing. Those who enjoy books such as this would like this. Excellent review.
Ann Harun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-harun.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ann Harun »

Keep up the good work Ken.
Zillionaire_me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zillionaire-me.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Zillionaire_me »

Anything war, especially when it has to do with family is a big no for me!
I just don't want to imagine how Janos's wife felt everytime her husband went for war, the adrenaline rush is just going to be on another level.. phew!
Malthide Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malthide-jones.html
Latest Review: that was then by bob turner

Post by Malthide Jones »

This book sounds like it has an interesting plot. I'd like to know how Janos found his family and who is responsible for such a heinous act. Thank you so much for this wonderful review.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I can't imagine what the wives of soldiers pass through when their husbands go off to war. I'm in suspense as to whether Janos finds his son and family. Interesting review.
Chiamaka_Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chiamaka_Glory »

This book is an eye opener to the life of a warrior. It's not easy as a wife going about your daily duties, with the hope that your husband will safely come back to you and your kids. It's unfortunate that his wife was taken. I wonder what eventually happened. Nice review!
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

I enjoyed your plot summary so much that I was disappointed when you pointed out that the book was slow-paced and lacked suspense. Hopes dashed, then. Wonderful review.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

Truly being a warrior is tough, it comes with a lot, but I like that you mentioned that it wasn't fast paced, I feel it would have been nicer if it were fast paced too. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”