Review of Celestial Navigation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Grace Elkana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Review of Celestial Navigation

Post by Grace Elkana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Celestial Navigation" by Jonathan R Lewis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Celestial Navigation by Jonathan R. Lewis vividly gave an insight into what homosexuals (gay people) had to deal with in the 70s. It took me through a rollercoaster of emotions. It gave an account of the lives of two boys born to different parents simultaneously. Though destined to be together, they had to deal with reality and life.

The book was about Jake and Carl. They had to understand, learn, and explore their sexualities as homosexuals while living in a society where their sexuality was taboo. It further showed how they had to go through life making choices that neither made them happy nor allowed them to be their true selves. When they eventually found a way to be together, life threw them a curve ball from which they spent the rest of their lives trying to recover.

Celestial Navigation is an exciting read. I love that the author presents this narrative through the eyes of two gay boys trying to let the world accept their sexuality. I have read about the way people with uncommon sexualities were treated in the 70s, even down to the late 90s. The accuracy in the author's account shows that he either experienced it himself or did extensive research about it. It is not difficult to connect with the plight of Jake and Carl because of how the author tells their stories. I'm sure older gay folks who struggled to express their sexualities in the 70s can relate to this narrative.

I also liked how the author presented the role of the family in the sexualities of kids, especially in the 70s. He tried to show the positive and negative effects of family influence. What appealed to me was that the author wasn't trying to condemn or promote anything. He only tried to present the challenges of being gay in the best way possible. I appreciated this.

There was only one thing that I disliked in the narrative. The author made it seem like every guy Jake met was into homosexuality. It was like he never crossed paths with men that weren't interested in him sexually. That was too much of an idealistic situation for me. Granted, gay guys would always feel more comfortable hanging around fellow gay guys. However, it would be hard to see a gay guy whose life revolved only around gay folks.

The book is recommended to members of the LGTBQ+ community struggling to come out. It provides a safe space for people who are being abused and rejected because of their sexualities.

I rate Celestial Navigation a 5 out of 5. It is written well and professionally edited. My little concern isn't enough to deduct a star.

Celestial Navigation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Renaissance: Primordium Book Two by William E. Mason

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I would love to learn what homosexuals had to deal with in the 70s. I would get yo learn a lot from this book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”