Review of The Songs of My Family

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Review of The Songs of My Family

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Songs of My Family" by Jillian Arena.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Songs of My Family by Jillian Arena is an absorbing and heartwarming story. The story is divided into six parts. The story starts with "The Song of Disintegration," which shares the story of Myra Jenkins, who was in a car accident that killed a young couple. Mary was driving her husband Greg home from a party when the accident happened. The young couple died, leaving behind three kids. In the following parts, the oldest of the kids, Emilia Garcia, in a bid to avoid being separated from her siblings by adoption, goes to meet Myra, who allegedly murdered her parents to foster her and her siblings till she is old enough to legally adopt them. Myra agrees to this arrangement, but will she be able to handle her daughters and this kid named Emilia, who hates her, alongside her two siblings? Greg, who is a big-shot lawyer, made sure to divorce Myra to save his career, leaving Myra to carry all the burdens alone for an accident that might not even be her fault.

This was an interesting read for me. I picked up this book because the title warmed my heart. I adore my family, so I felt I could relate to whatever the characters in this book were going through, and I wasn't mistaken. The love that Myra has for a family is one that is very relatable, and it also inspired me. What inspired me the most was the kindness that most of the characters in the book showed towards each other and how Myra’s kids stuck with her through all the challenges that they went through. The story warmed my heart and made me happy.

The only thing that I did not really enjoy about the book was the way it ended for Greg. I did not like how Greg left Myra, and I thought the author would address his role in the whole chaos. Despite not liking how things ended for him, I thought it had a fair ending; it was realistic because, most of the time, that is how life works. I also get that the author was driving the "family comes first" idea, and as long as everyone is happy, all is well. So, I cannot hold that against this book.

For a book that warmed my heart and encouraged me to always put my family first, I cannot give it anything less than a perfect rating. I rate this book five out of five stars. The book was well-written and perfectly edited. I found no errors in it. The author created a beautiful plot. I loved the storyline, and I would really love to see a movie created from this book. It will make a great family drama. I had a great read, and as I said earlier, although I expected more comeuppance for Greg, I thought the story had a good end and deserved the perfect rating.

I would recommend this book to lovers of family dramas; the book has more than enough family drama to keep them absorbed in it. The book is also suitable for foster parents; I think they will learn a lot from Myra. Myra showcased a lot of parenting skills that I think will benefit parents. The book is also going to benefit people who look forward to having a large family; I think they will be inspired by this story.

The Songs of My Family
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

This seems like an interesting book. The title alone, is intriguing. I would definitely read this later.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The title is catchy. I wonder what The Songs of My Family be like. Myra seems to contribute a lot of interesting drama in this book. Wonderful review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”