Review of League of the Lost

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Grace Elkana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Review of League of the Lost

Post by Grace Elkana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "League of the Lost" by Vic Sandel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In League of the Lost by Vic Sandel, Arkansas had been under the control of the Sykes family for over a hundred years. The Sykes brothers were the rule of law. The eldest was Emmett Sykes. He was the most brutal of the three at seventy-one years old and the town's Judge. The second brother, Emmett's twin, was the town's prison warden and was as brutal as his brother. The youngest, Everett, was the town's sheriff and the most amiable, but he lived under the control of his brothers. The family's fortune had come from cotton farming, which was so lucrative until recently. To maintain their wealth, the brothers tried their hands on another line of farming that put them in the debt of a dangerous Mexican cartel. When Emmett could no longer get free labor from the 'special prisoners' his brothers supplied, he must find an alternative, even if that meant taking advantage of society's most vulnerable.

The book had an unusual plot, which added to the already aroused excitement initiated at the beginning of the book. The author's first introduction sparked intrigue with his language, tone, and even more intriguing storytelling that thankfully persisted throughout the book. It was a solid start that would capture the reader's interest and raise their anticipation for what was to come. The chapters were short and gave the book an easy-to-read, progressive feel, which would help keep readers from getting easily bored.

The story in League of the Lost — a fantastic title that captured the plot — was character driven. There were a variety of characters whose personas helped to advance the story. There were noble characters who displayed integrity and courage. There were also the villains and another class that teetered the lines between good and evil. However, my favorite characters were the bunch of twenty-five young boys who were endearing because of their innocence and strength. Surprisingly, despite their advanced age, the Sykes brothers were resourceful and formidable villains. The contrast between the brothers' characters showcased more potently the scary nature of Emmett Sykes. Through some characters, like Aaron Slade and Jose Lopez, I saw the blurred lines between good and evil. William's character taught a good lesson that doing the right thing was always right, even if it posed a danger to us. The characters' dialogue was also an exciting aspect of this story, and they partly advanced it.

The story got quite emotional at some point, and then it devolved into a horrific experience at other times. This was, of course, a testament to the author's fantastic storytelling. There was action, mystery, intrigue, and many exciting elements that made this book a good read. I enjoyed how the story unfolded, and the eventual resolution was satisfying.

I enjoyed reading this book. It was a heartwarming story, and I was thoroughly entertained. It was a story about survival, sacrifice, unity, and karma. I found nothing in it to dislike. However, it would benefit from further editing. I'd recommend this book to lovers of thrillers. Due to the number of errors, I'd rate League of the Lost four out of five stars.

League of the Lost
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”