Review: Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Habiba GM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-habiba-gm.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Re: Review: Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Spoilers)

Post by Habiba GM »

The girl on the train is one of my favourite books. I think Rachel’s character can be best explained as ‘emotionally disfunctional’ and I am surprised no one has realised or mentioned that Meghan is going through a major depression. I love how the story progresses, how the author explores how the human mind (or the female mind in this case) can turn and twist and follow unforeseen directions once it is affected with emptiness. I do believe the women in the book all feel empty, that is why they have the all round connection to children (to fill the emptiness).
EllieAfter
Currently Reading: The Atomic City Girls
Bookshelf Size: 1140
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by EllieAfter »

I had also heard wonderful things about this book, but I was not impressed when I read it. Maybe my expectations were too high. I found the pace too slow, and most of the characters unlikable and uninteresting. As far as the main character "Rachel", I didn't actually dislike her. But I felt very sorry for her. Almost too sorry. She was such a pathetic character that it was almost distracting to me.

I realize people's opinions vary wildly but after reading this book, I simply could not understand all the hype about it.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

I loved this book. It is not just a thriller. Paula Hawkings describes the characters' feelimgs very well. I could not stop feeling bad for Rach. Everytime someone insults her I felt really sad. And that ending! I had a hint when Megan said Tom ignored her when she went to babysit. But this book is truly amazing!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”