Review of The Set Up

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Review of The Set Up

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Set Up" by Carl Edward Jackson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In The Set Up, Carl Edward Jackson narrates his story, taking us through numerous trials and tribulations he faced in his life, from being sexually assaulted at a very young age to being judged as a gay, black man in the church and world. As he navigates through life, he also advances in his career, rising to management positions in a top company. However, he soon learns about the glass ceiling that holds his kind back. In attempting to break through this glass ceiling, his life quickly falls apart as he loses his job and eventually develops a mental illness. He finds his way to God and longs to be free from these trials. This book documents his journey toward freedom.

I must admit that this was quite a touching story to read, especially since I saw myself in Carl in several ways. He points out the hypocrisy of many churchgoers, highlighting their harsh judgments and reluctance to help people based on looks, and his story shows that there is a clear distinction between religiousness and spirituality. Seeing Carl develop a personal relationship with God was a welcome sight, and I wondered how that would help him overcome his numerous challenges, considering the mistakes he made early on. Nonetheless, I rooted for him every step of the way.

The author also had a distinct style of descriptive writing that provoked a lot of interest in his experiences. While he discussed events in his story, he had a way of expertly chipping in one or two relating past happenings that helped me connect to him better. However, I must admit that he got carried away on a couple of occasions and narrated parts that had no relevance to me later in the book. Another part of the book that highlighted his high skill level as a descriptive writer was when he took me through his experiences with mental illness. You will experience the same confusion he felt, especially when he talks to God about the end of days and experiences hell.

Furthermore, I liked how well the author explored the issues with the American justice system and how the odds have been stacked against minority groups. His story presents a perfect example of this, and he would have to persevere through a lot and fight to overcome discrimination. I pitied him in these parts of the book but also found his resolve inspiring at times.

The Set Up seems professionally edited as well. I noticed about eight errors in the text, but they did not affect my reading experience too much. All things considered, the book deserves a rating of four out of five stars. The errors I found and the issue with over-describing some parts of the book meant that it wasn't perfect. Nonetheless, the book had a lot of positives, which warranted a favorable rating. The book is also heavy on profanity and includes some descriptive sexual activities. I would recommend this book to mature readers who enjoy inspirational reads and memoirs.

The Set Up
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I love this! I’m happy the author didn’t allow the judgements of these churchgoers to take him away from God. That’s why there’s a difference between Churchgoers and the real people of God. We can’t bring people closer to God by mocking g them.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”