Review of From Hell to Home

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review of From Hell to Home

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Hell to Home" by DJ Power.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

After recuperating from a bullet wound to his head, Corporal Jim Coleman heads back to Vietnam to continue his work as a CIA agent. He leaves behind a love interest and his family, and he is given a new mission. His boss, Commander Damon of the CIA, tasks him with going behind enemy lines to capture a prolific Chinese colonel who has been aiding enemy forces. The lingering effects of his injury surface, causing him bouts of blindness and debilitating headaches. Dedicated to his duty and to the men with whom he serves, Jim reflects on prior missions, his purpose in this unforgiving war, and his future. Will his injury affect his ability to carry out his duty? Have his sacrifices been in vain?

From Hell to Home: The Final Vietnam Story is both a character and plot-driven book. As our protagonist carries out his missions and interacts with other characters, we can feel his restlessness as he heals from his wounds, yearning to return to the battlefield. We can empathize with his tender feelings for a young orphan who is an unfortunate victim of war. We can feel the tangled webs woven by those in the throes of young romance. The plot of the book is steady-paced throughout, and the storyline is refreshingly unpredictable. The historical fiction component gives readers insight into the human aspects of war and the sacrifices made by the many men and women who fight for our country.

There were many things about this book I found appealing. I enjoyed the way author DJ Power drew me into the text with flashbacks of other missions and mini cliffhangers that allowed me the freedom to use my own imagination as I read. The secondary and tertiary characters added some depth to this story; the mysterious commander, his fellow agent, the alluring nurse, and even the scouts filled their roles within the developing plot. What I liked the most about the book was the energetic storyline and the spirited themes on display throughout the story. The underlying themes of resilience, service to country, and discrimination are relevant and were thoughtfully explored.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the character development and the plot, the structure was a bit confusing at times. It was not always clear where the flashbacks started or ended. There were also some errors in editing, particularly in punctuation within the dialogue. None of them were major enough to interfere with the flow of the reading, but there were many of them. For this reason only, I deduct one star from the rating and give this book 4 out of 5 stars for its plot and character development.

I recommend this story to readers who appreciate historical fiction and those who enjoy reading about the military. Readers interested in the Vietnam War will appreciate the details in the descriptions of the setting. There is some profanity and some brief descriptions of violence one would expect from a book about war, so the book may not be suitable for younger readers. Overall, I enjoyed it and have gained a new appreciation for the sacrifices made by our servicemen.

From Hell to Home
View: on Bookshelves
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

From Hell to Home: The Final Vietnam Story is both a character and plot-driven book. As our protagonist carries out his missions and interacts with other characters, we can feel his restlessness as he heals from his wounds, yearning to return to the battlefield. Thanks for your review.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A book that talks about the story of Jim. How he continues his work as a CIA agent leaving behind a happy family at home after healing from a bullet wound in his head. The book characters and the plot twist were well-developed. Thanks for the great review.
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

The plot of this novel is interesting. I love corporal Jim Coleman's character in this novel. He recuperated from a bullet wound in his head but still focused on the mission. Fascinating review.
Aditi A
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-a.html
Latest Review: Why Does Government Need to be Funded? by Amphidromus
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Aditi A »

Great review. Thank you. The plot claims the fictional guise while revealing hard truths in a wonderful balance of plot, character and message. It is the unending, unnerving saga of centuries of political mishaps and war catastrophes

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”