Review of Island of Redemption

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: Stoicism, Bullying, and Beyond by Matt Sharpe

Review of Island of Redemption

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Island of Redemption" by Chris Reynolds.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"If you are still here, then He is not done with you yet." This is a quote you would get familiar with as you read the Island of Redemption; it summed up Mark Lambert's ordeal. Chris Reynolds weaved a compelling work of fiction inspired by actual events. It was a story written with a powerful message. When Mark Lambert became cast away on an unknown island, little did he know that would be a significant turning point in his life. In a bid to survive, he did whatever he deemed necessary. This island would be his crucible, testing everything he had ever held true. What would be the aftermath of his encounter? After almost a decade away from civilization, would he be able to adjust to the inevitable changes in the world in which he lived?

Island of Redemption had a Robinson Crusoe feel to it but with a touch of modernity. For most of the scenes, Mark Lambert was the sole character. When I started the book, I expected the story's direction. I was surprised by the turnout of events. It was borderline religiously themed with a mature take on sexuality.

Introspection was a core aspect of the novel, as seen from Mark's experience. Staying alone for an extended period would do that to anyone, let alone a forced solitude devoid of familiar comforts. I felt like I was on a journey with him, and seeing his character development as time progressed was exciting. The author's provision of a proper backstory as a reference point for what made him who he was at the book's beginning was commendable.

A worthy mention was the mysterious woman with him on the island. I couldn't decide if she was real or an apparition because she wasn't a figment of his imagination, unlike his initial hallucinations of Thomas. Watching her go from the object of his lust to something special was intriguing. Their dialogues were usually philosophical and insightful, with a tinge of humor. Her influence was ever present even after her absence. The effect of a relationship between humans and animals was also showcased. His friendship with the dolphins was essential in keeping his sanity. His dog also added a heartwarming experience to the story with a satisfying ending.

Island of Redemption was well written, and the core message was delivered correctly. There was a lesson for every reader in it. The editing was top-notch, with no errors. I could find no fault or anything to dislike. Finally, I would rate it 5 out of 5 stars for its enjoyability, lack of fillers, and simplicity. I would recommend it to lovers of fictional books inspired by actual events.

Island of Redemption
View: on Bookshelves
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ruthwriter »

Moving away from people and their way of life could be challenging in many ways. Mark Lambert's decision to take such a path is what I don't understand. i will find out when I read it anyway. thanks for the review.
Mercy Sos
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: 1400697484
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Mercy Sos »

Wow I love this review, makes me what to read the book. I really love the way you summarized the book, leaving me with suspense and so much thoughts. Now I'm definitely going to check the book. Thanks for the review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”