Review of Fact Check and More Probing Tales

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zee_Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html
Latest Review: Fact Check and More Probing Tales by James Hanna

Review of Fact Check and More Probing Tales

Post by Zee_Zee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fact Check and More Probing Tales" by James Hanna.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Fact Check and More Probing Tales by James Hanna was a short-story collection that explored themes that touched on the pandemic and other life issues. In "Life as We Knew It," a husband tried to alter the changes brought on by the pandemic, even if it was one good meal at a time. In "Krispy Kremes," a general was faced with acknowledging that peoples' loyalties were more tied to their stomachs than to exposing government conspiracies. "How I Done Good in School" was the coming-of-age story of Toby Dawes, a boy under his father's wing, as he explored the pleasures of the opposite sex and his journey to obtain redemption for a whore.

When I was done reading this book, I noticed how these stories touched on some of the things we experience as humans. For instance, "Life as We Knew It" appeared symbolic of how the pandemic distorted our patterns and familiar systems of existence. It also represented our frantic attempt to regain some of the order we had been used to. The husband and his wife represented two sides of the people's reactions to the changes — the side that resolved never to give up trying and the indifferent side. The husband's attitude and never-give-up spirit were worth emulating.

"The Lottery" carried with it an eerily feeling. The author's language was catchy, and his tone seeped with intrigue and suspense. Reading through that story, I only wanted to know what exactly was behind 'the dome.' A similar feeling of intrigue carried over into "Strutting Hog," accompanied by a sinister dread. "The Tallyman" was a riveting tale that had a sobering effect because of the uncomfortable truths it told, especially about the justice system.

The author narrated his stories in a language that captured my attention and demanded deep probing into the messages each story sought to communicate. The book's mood alternated with the stories, adding spice and variety to the book. "The Land Fish" possessed a mischievous humor that contrasted with the amusing indifference that sparked a husband's reactions to his wife's questions in "Biff Malibu" and "Single-Leg Pickup." These diverse emotions ensured that I was entertained.

One of the most beautiful qualities of Fact Check and More Probing Tales would be the freedom of interpretation that readers would be afforded. Readers could easily decipher a particular story differently, and James Hanna provided subtle clues to encourage readers to interpret the stories uniquely. The stories fluctuated between themes about life and its cycle, regrets, political propaganda, and love for literature.

I loved this book, it was exceptionally edited, and there was nothing to dislike. Fact Check and More Probing Tales would be appreciated by readers who enjoy stories with an edge. I'd rate it five out of five stars.

Fact Check and More Probing Tales
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Collections of short stories are not my thing. I used to think that it was because they weren’t’t long enough to develop properly.Now I’ve begun to wonder if I just have a very short attention span.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

It seems that the book contains many interesting stories. Your review made me curious to read this book. Thanks for the nice review.
Mercy Sos
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos.html
Latest Review: Inspector Mage by Aleese Hughes
Reading Device: 1400697484
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Mercy Sos »

Hmm.. this book sounds like an interesting read, so I will check it out.. Thanks for the honest review 👍

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”