Review of Brothers After All

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
praise nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: Do Nothing by Miguel Angel Hernandez Jr.

Review of Brothers After All

Post by praise nwaogazie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Brothers After All" by Kathryn Foster.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brothers After All is a work of fiction by Kathryn Foster. Elizabeth Two Hawks' life changed after an EMP incident that cut off communication from the city. Liz, her husband, James, and their daughter, Minnie, decided to hike to a place known as Uncompaghre Wilderness for safety. Unfortunately, one of the complications they faced led to the deaths of Minnie and James. Liz got there and discovered her in-laws were dead. Liz, who was pregnant at the time, singlehandedly gave birth to her son, James, A.K.A. Wind Ryder. She coincidentally met Matthew Hawk, and they both worked together to materialise her vision, which was the coming together of all Ute people to build a strong nation. As the narrative progressed, they were joined by Connor and Eldon Wings, and news about Ute's alliance spread, which brought more people to join them. However, the White House in Washington opposed this growing force because it posed a problem for them. The atmosphere escalated when Senator Lampe was sent as a representative of Washington to tell Liz and her alliance to stop whatever efforts they were making to take over leadership in the country. And from here, it gets complicated.

In the beginning, readers would realise the narrative is being told from the perspectives of three different persons. They might wonder about their connection as they were all in different places and narrated other events. But not to be confused, after some time, the way they are all related would surface.

At the onset of the book, the author includes a map that shows the location of Ute, the place where this book is primarily set. I respected this feature. Before the book commenced, the author also included a glossary that portrayed the three Ute dialects that reflected the oral traditions of the three Ute Nations. This component acquainted readers with the language of the people of Ute, which was necessary to understand the book well. I appreciated Liz's relationship with one of the focal characters in the book. There was a high level of tension because of the era they were in, and enjoyably, their relationship gave the novel a soothing atmosphere that was much needed. The book had a sprinkle of humour ingrained in it too. Some examples were when April Cloud said, "Who knew mac and cheese could bring men to their knees?" and "Sorry guys, he proposed before tasting my cooking, so I know he loves me." It also had a distinct feature I hadn't seen in almost all the novels I'd read. It wasn't divided into chapters. Instead, it was split into timelines in which the events occurred, and I was fascinated by it.

I liked that the author broke the stereotype evident in today's society that it doesn't look nice for a woman to have a relationship with a younger male. The lesson to be learned is that age certainly doesn't matter in choosing a spouse. What matters is our love, respect, and commitment toward each other.

I admired that the main character in this novel was a woman. It felt good to see a woman in power. This is because no matter how uphill a task seems, she remains determined to solve the problem.

I was somewhat bored at some point in the novel. I felt the narrative about the gathering of the people to form a strong alliance dragged on for too long. But I was able to get past this and enjoy the book. I noted only a few errors, which show it was professionally edited. The ending was satisfying, with loopholes covered. For these reasons, I'll rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to desirous readers captivated by narratives with apocalyptic thrillers, political storylines, and a substantial amount of romance and suspense.

Brothers After All
View: on Bookshelves
Mercy Sos
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos.html
Latest Review: Inspector Mage by Aleese Hughes
Reading Device: 1400697484
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Mercy Sos »

Nice review.. will read the book soon.