Review of Return to Faith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Review of Return to Faith

Post by Vivian Stones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Return to Faith" by Otis Farmer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Return to Faith is a lovely fictional drama novel written by Otis Farmer. It consists of thirty-one chapters that follow Cal Baxter, a former pastor in his mid-forties; following a tragic event, he loses faith in God. The book follows his rather unusual journey to self-rediscovery.

Cal lived in Archdale with his wife, Annie, and their daughter Taylor. He had served as the pastor of a Baptist Church. One fateful day, the entire family was involved in a ghastly accident in which Taylor and Annie died instantly. Over the next ten years, Cal blames himself for the accident and gradually loses his belief in his God. Eventually, he quits his role as Pastor and begins a journey to find answers. This leads him through a series of events where he is robbed, loses his memory, and ends up in a town called Faith. Will Cal find his way back to God? Find out in this amazing book.

There is so much that I love about this book. First, the language used was very easy to understand. I had no issues following the story as a result. Also, I particularly love the characters in the book. I found myself very emotionally invested in Tommy's growth. It was nice to watch him become a better person, thanks to the influence of those around him. I also loved Cal. Despite the fact that he lost his faith, family, and memories, he remained such a good person, choosing to help others even when it seemed illogical.

I loved the interactions between him and Betsy. I would love to mention his interactions with Mutt, which were so cute! I also appreciate the moral dilemma shown by some of the characters, particularly Deputy Karr. I think that the author must be commended for this. Overall, the plot was very interesting and wholesome. It reminded me a lot of those old Christian drama series that leave you with a warm feeling inside and a silly grin on your face. I truly enjoyed it, and I am looking forward to its sequel.

I didn't find any negative aspects in this book. Also, I did not find any errors because it was exceptionally well edited. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The compelling nature of its story, coupled with its amazing characters and its message of the importance of kindness, ensured my complete satisfaction with the book. As a result, I could not possibly rate it lower. I recommend this book to lovers of dramatic novels. If you enjoy Christian books, whether you are a Christian or not, this book would appeal to you.

Return to Faith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I assume that the Faith referred to in the title is the town, not Cal's religious faith. I can see how losing one's entire family could cause doubt. I hope he gets along OK.
Robinlloyd17
Currently Reading: Fair cronies and felonies
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinlloyd17.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Robinlloyd17 »

This sounds like an amazing story of personal faith during tragic situations that can be related to by many people, especially people with a Christian background. I will consider placing this in my bookshelf.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

I'd love to find out whether or not Cal found his way back to God. Seems like a rather suspenseful read.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”