Review of Jaded Choyce

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Jaded Choyce

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jaded Choyce" by Shaynuh Sloane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes, standing up for oneself seems to be the better choice, especially when nothing outside seems to work favourably. Jaded Choyce by Shaynuh Sloane tells the story of Chloe Choyce, who was caught up in the tornado of bureaucracy. Chloe suffered in her last marriage, which produced a set of twins. Adding to her emotional pain was the unfair treatment she suffered at the hands of her supervisor in her workplace. After several condemnations and harsh treatment for reasons she couldn't get, she decided to leave her agency and move to another federal agency. With high hopes to work in a balanced work environment and have more time to take care of herself and her twin, you'll find out in this book how things went for Chloe in her new job and how standing for herself seems to be the better choice.

The author's narration style is one of the things I like about the book. Chloe's experiences at her workplace were told in a way that the readers of the book will feel what she experienced. I used to think that unfairness at the federal level was something that happened in my country alone, but her story made me see past my thoughts. It is sad to hear how people are treated because of their skin colour or because their boss sees them as a threat. True to the words of a famous musician, we live in a world where mankind is so unkind to mankind.

The book gives hope and reveals the play of politics in the workspace. The truth behind Chloe's ordeal wasn't made known until the epilogue, and I appreciated that about the book. The relationship between Chloe and her grandmother is another thing I enjoyed reading about in the book. Her grandmother's words of consolation were valid, and I hold them dear to my heart. In her words, people will hate you because they wish to be like you or are scared you will outshine them. The statement was indeed confirmed in the book. I had a great time reading this book.

I wouldn't say I liked how the author ended the story. I would have loved to read more about how the court process went and how it all played out. Although the author spoke of how determined she was to stand in for herself, it would be great to read about how it all played out. But I still enjoyed reading her study.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the dislike I stated above. The book was professionally edited and written in clear terms. Although it contains highly profane words, this didn't stop me from enjoying the book.

I recommend this book to single working mothers, young adults, and adults facing challenges at work. This book will inspire them that they are not in the struggle alone and that if they don't give up, they will win. Also, readers of good books will enjoy this book.

Jaded Choyce
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Seeing as I work in Human Resources, this book sounds all too realistic! Workplace conflicts are more common than one would think. Thank you for the great review.
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

I like that Chloe stood up for herself and realized that that is the better choice. As much as we wish for a kind and loving world and society, it's an unfortunate truth that mankind is unkind to mankind. We just have to learn how to stand up for ourselves given the reality.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

Any adult facing challenges will learn a whole lot from this book. It seems to contain a lot of situations that would educate a lot of readers.
Mei Menny
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mei Menny »

Jaded Choyce shows how no matter what challenges you face, you must stand up for yourself. This book informs readers on many problems in the world today.
Jay Alex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-alex.html
Latest Review: 1942 When British Rule In India Was Threatened by Krishna Kumar

Post by Jay Alex »

It must be really tough on Chloe taking care of the twins alone and having to handle a difficult boss. Wonderful review well-done.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”