Review of Raising Father

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Raising Father by M. Lee Fox

Review of Raising Father

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raising Father" by M. Lee Fox.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Henry Gilles was driven to succeed at all costs, being heartless with his dealings with people. Upon learning he was dying, Henry made arrangements to have himself cloned, and he wanted his twin daughters to raise the child. However, he had been so psychologically abusive to them throughout their lives that both girls had long-term issues. Amanda, feeling she had failed at everything (because he persistently told her so), had become neurotic and frightened to even leave the house. She was under the nearly constant care of a psychiatrist. Gillian had become self-centered and exhibited some self-destructive behaviors. Despising her father, she had fled their mansion at eighteen, vowing to never return. She had no interest in children or marriage. To entice the girls, Henry promised them two billion dollars to raise the baby until he reached eighteen years of age. Knowing it would take the next eighteen years of their lives, thinking the baby would have the same negative personality as Henry, and believing it was probably unethical, would the twins agree to their father’s request? If they did, could they love the clone of someone who had treated them so badly?

Raising Father by M. Lee Fox is a 341-page novel that examines the role that love and acceptance play in a person’s life. In an age where cloning could be a possibility, the story encourages the readers to challenge themselves about their beliefs. It also causes the readers to question themselves about what they would be willing to do for two billion dollars. The author’s writing style is descriptive and easy to understand. He has constructed a believable plot with interesting and varied characters. The intriguing story is not always predictable; the twists make it all the more fascinating.

The character development is superb. Henry was orphaned and went from foster home to foster home while growing up and found himself unable to accept or express love. Therefore, financial success became the most meaningful thing in his life. Although his temperament and mistreatment had grown even worse in his last days, Amanda persisted in taking care of him because she still craved his approval. Even though the women are identical twins, they haven’t been close for many years. Amanda thinks Gillian is selfish and mean, and Gillian hates Amanda’s anxiety and fear. Not only will they have to raise the baby, but if they both consent, they will have to do it together. Although the twins sometimes made choices and behaved in ways that irritated me, the author was excellent at evoking empathy and understanding for their behaviors. It also made them seem human. I enjoyed watching their growth throughout the novel.

Although I found this book enthralling, a number of mistakes were encountered. These included grammatical, punctuation, and a couple of formatting errors. Although most of these were minor and didn’t affect my enjoyment of the book, they should be cleaned up to reach the next level. A professional editor would be helpful in getting these problems remedied.

Because of the aforementioned reasons, Raising Father achieves a rating of three out of four stars. If the errors are corrected, I am convinced it would be worthy of a four-star rating. I highly recommend it to readers who enjoy dramas with great character development. Profanities are encountered as well as one episode of inappropriate sexual behavior. If that is a problem for the reader, they might want to look elsewhere.

Raising Father
View: on Bookshelves
Hannah Mae Fabro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

Henry doesn't seem like a good father; it looks like he didn't even regret what he did to his father. Anyways, I wanna know what would be the response of his daughters. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Edit_or »

I feel the child will be treated badly if the twins go ahead to raise him. Meanwhile I think I’ll need to read for myself to know how it all plays out. Thanks for a great review.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
2022 Reading Goal: 60
2022 Goal Completion: 21%

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for an insightful review. It is like a teaser of a movie which everyone will find interesting. The very thought of raising a child and if that child is a clone of your father, seems like an impossible but plausible event. I'd love to read it.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Hannah Mae Fabro wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 22:10 Henry doesn't seem like a good father; it looks like he didn't even regret what he did to his father. Anyways, I wanna know what would be the response of his daughters. Thank you for your wonderful review.
You are right--he was a terrible father. I hope you get to read the book to find out what the twins did. Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Edit_or wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 03:29 I feel the child will be treated badly if the twins go ahead to raise him. Meanwhile I think I’ll need to read for myself to know how it all plays out. Thanks for a great review.
You will need to read it to find out how it goes. :lol: I hope you enjoy the book. I feel sure you will!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kavita Shah wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 05:08 Thank you for an insightful review. It is like a teaser of a movie which everyone will find interesting. The very thought of raising a child and if that child is a clone of your father, seems like an impossible but plausible event. I'd love to read it.
It is certainly an interesting and original plot for a story. I applaud the author's imagination. I hope you get to read it!
Amy Luman
Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 708
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have always been in favor of cloning, but this review has made me rethink my conclusions. I tried to put myself in the almost impossible position of his daughters and I can see the negative side. Lots of things aren’t worth the money.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Amy Luman wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 15:27 I have always been in favor of cloning, but this review has made me rethink my conclusions. I tried to put myself in the almost impossible position of his daughters and I can see the negative side. Lots of things aren’t worth the money.
That is so true! There would be a lot to consider. Thank you for reading my review and commenting!
Covenant M Olusegun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-m-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
2022 Reading Goal: 25
2022 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Covenant M Olusegun »

I really hope the daughters do not agree to raising the child, because they themselves need healing, and subjecting themselves to another eighteen years of torture because of money is not worth it. The book sounds really enthralling, I will like to know what happens next
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Covenant M Olusegun wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 16:24 I really hope the daughters do not agree to raising the child, because they themselves need healing, and subjecting themselves to another eighteen years of torture because of money is not worth it. The book sounds really enthralling, I will like to know what happens next
They do, indeed, need healing. I hope you get to read the book to find out what happens. Thank you for taking the time to read my review. I appreciate it!
diana lowery
Currently Reading: Shadows of Pecan Hollow
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Dirtbags and Dead Bodies by Dr. Jeffrey Snider
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 72%

Post by diana lowery »

I hope the author takes your advice and does a deeper edit. You make the story sound very interesting.
Omega_01
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omega-01.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Omega_01 »

No magic works like giving children adequate love and attention. I could imagine the pain and trauma those girls have passed through and how that has affected their lives. I enjoyed your review. Well done!
thedaughter04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thedaughter04.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 105%

Post by thedaughter04 »

This seems like an interesting plot to read, I'm curious to know how the story will develop. Thank you for your review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

diana lowery wrote: Yesterday, 16:52 I hope the author takes your advice and does a deeper edit. You make the story sound very interesting.
I hope so too. Thank you for your kind words and for reading my review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”