Review of Lights Out

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Review of Lights Out

Post by Mozi Ken »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lights Out" by Darius Anania.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The meaning of lights out to people like me is bedtime. This was not the case for Kiara. Lights out for her meant the start of something beautiful. Something she loved doing—racing. The book, Lights Out, was written by Darius Anania. It told the fictional story of Kiara and her eventual triumph in racing.

Racing in its entirety is a very vast subject. Kiara loved car racing and was a race car driver. There was a problem, however. She lacked confidence. Her confidence, or lack thereof, was a big issue for both her and the entire team. It was the last race of the season, and Kiara was in last place. Is it possible for her to be able to overcome her challenges and be one of the best in her field? What solution was provided? What effect did a very deadly virus have on her game? Grab a copy to find out.

Lights Out was an interesting book. Car racing is not my thing, but I could relate to Kiara being the only female race driver. I could feel her pain when, despite her love for the game, she kept being the back marker. This meant that she was the worst driver on the track. I also appreciated Melissa's tenacity. The author did a great job of writing the role each character played in the book. There was also Brian, who went from being a new dad who's retired from the army to a racer. The subheadings at the beginning of every chapter were a great addition. It gave an insight into what that chapter was going to be about.

As much as I liked some things in the book, there were a few things I disliked. The characters were poorly developed. The author should have written more about them so that I would be able to picture them in my head. Another thing I didn't appreciate about the book was its length. Indeed, it's good for an author to be detailed in writing. But the downside to too many details is that they might inspire boredom. So some parts of its parts bored me. I did not understand most of the technical terms used in the book while describing an ongoing car race.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I found no errors. It was exceptionally well-edited. I removed a star because some readers might find some parts of the book boring. The poor development of the characters would affect the mental image of some readers. The length of the book might discourage some people from reading it. A layman would be confused by the technical terms used in the book. I recommend a glossary for those words. However, the races were very interesting. I enjoyed reading about them. I recommend this book to those who enjoy car racing, inspirational books, and books about teamwork.

Lights Out
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

Even though racing is not my favorite thing to read, your review piqued my interest. Thanks for the review.
ometanoghenetejiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ometanoghenetejiri.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by ometanoghenetejiri »

The cover page of this book is very attractive. The major theme which is racing is even more fascinating. I would love to read this fictional book. I think it'll be fun to read. Nice review. It was captivating.
ometanoghenetejiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ometanoghenetejiri.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by ometanoghenetejiri »

The cover page of this book is very attractive. The major theme which is racing is even more fascinating. I would love to read this fictional book. I think it'll be fun to read. Nice review. It was captivating.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: The Three Card Trick by Charles Townsend

Post by Adaeze Joan »

Kiara sounds like an interesting character. I also love car racing do I will definitely enjoy reading this book. I hope Kiara is able to have confidence in herself. Nice review.
Harry Torsney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-torsney.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Harry Torsney »

As a huge fan of motorsports, your review has piqued my interest in starting this book right away. Kiara is an inspiration and a game-changer for any women who wish to compete in auto racing. I'm eager to find out where she placed in the race. Kudos on this excellent review. Keep it up.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

Although I think race car driving is a very unique and solid sport, I also think it's scary. I wouldn't have the confidence to race behind those wheels either. I guess Kiara's case is different from mine since she actually love and enjoy racing. I would love to know if she overcome her fear. Great review!
Hannah Mae Fabro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

I'm not a fan of racing cars but the plotline sounds intriguing. The book cover also stands out and gives summer vibes. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Anselm Freeman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anselm-freeman.html
Latest Review: Onward, At Last by Kevin Howard
2022 Reading Goal: 72
2022 Goal Completion: 29%

Post by Anselm Freeman »

To me, I would have said light out means bedtime too, but it seems light out could mean many things to different people.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”