Review of And Heavenly Things

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Pilot Who Knows the Waters by N.L. Holmes

Review of And Heavenly Things

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "And Heavenly Things" by Kim Cousins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"What shall separate us from the love of Christ"? Because our time here on Earth is limited, nothing should separate us from our Saviour's love. Home awaits us in heaven, where we will spend eternity and live free from all the pain and difficulties of this world.

And Heavenly Things by Kim Cousins tells the story of the persecution of Christians who refused to take the mark of the government on their bodies. Many people's hearts grew cold toward the things of the Father, and they waxed deeper into the things of Satan in various parts of the world. However, some faithful scattered around will not compromise their faith and will continue to live in fear of being captured by the peacekeepers (government soldiers). If captured, they are tried in a court, and if they still refuse the mark, they will be beheaded.

Returning home from a journey, Jeremiah, fondly called Miah, and his travelling companions tried not to get arrested by the peacekeepers. They hope to see their loved ones at home soon. Jeremiah's father, Bill, a stacked gambler full of tricks, decides to follow his son after their home is raided. One of his co-gamblers caught him stealing and was arrested by the peacekeepers. To save himself and get some benefits from the government, he decides to use his daughter, son, and co-travellers as bounty. He led the troops to capture his flesh and blood. In this book, you will find out the fate of Jeremiah, his travelling companions, and other outsiders (the names of those without the mark) in a world far away from Miah in the hands of the peacekeepers.

The author's writing style and the manner in which the characters were developed were both appealing to me. This book has a distinct and original style. Reading this book restored my faith and convinced me of God's love and the certainty of Heaven. Instead of simply quoting bible passages, the author used bible lines as the characters' words and then referred to the verses at the conclusion of the page. This is a part of the book that I enjoy.

This book contains a lot of truth and revelation. The author explains in this book that everything we are facing in this world—hunger, political conflict, and economic collapse—are all symptoms of war. The world is fighting a real war between two kingdoms: the kingdom of God and Satan. Satan knows he has lost the battle but won't give up the fight. He would do anything to steal away God's most precious belongings from him. He and his cohorts are behind every evil happening in the world and won't give up easily on any soul until they win them to their pit of destruction. By re-creating the stories of some martyrs through the characters in this book, the author successfully passes her message and reveals who Jesus Christ is to the readers.

I disliked nothing about the book. The characters were well-developed, and the story flowed well. It excites me to read about how God can use things we consider impossible to save His own. I questioned my faith when I read about how Nellie was beheaded for upholding her faith and how Miah didn't kill his father, although he could. I'm blessed by reading this book, and I hope to meet my Lord and Savior face-to-face one day and be happy around him, just like the beautiful characters I read about. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is well deserving of it. The book was exceptionally well edited; the language used was easy to understand, and I wasn't bored reading the story. I found no reason to deduct any stars from the book.

I recommend this book to parents, young adults, new and mature Christians, and those who have lost loved ones. Non-Christians who read books with an open mind and enjoy fiction stories will also find this book an exciting read.

And Heavenly Things
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 708
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am very interested in this novel. Opinions on the end times and what it will be like for believers and non-believers alike has always fascinated me, not that it really matters. Who knows what Jeremiah and his friends will find.
Anselm Freeman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anselm-freeman.html
Latest Review: Onward, At Last by Kevin Howard
2022 Reading Goal: 72
2022 Goal Completion: 29%

Post by Anselm Freeman »

This novel holds a potential intriguing plot. As I read through the summary, I got captivated. It's my type of novel for some expose on the end time.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Olomofe »

This book is a wonderful anecdotal guess into how the last days could play out. Your review has lots of details. well done
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Precious Oba »

This is the first time I'm coming across a religious thriller. It sounds like a story that will keep you in suspense till the end. Although, I'm not sure about how I feel about the Biblical anecdotes, I think the author still excited a fine narrative.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders by Virginia Hoyt

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

I love this review, what captured my attention is your first paragraph, " what shall separate us from the love of God" nothing on earth. I must read this book because of this quote. Fantastic review.
Hannah Mae Fabro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

I find the book amazing, but I think this book is not for me. But I also find your review amazing. Thank you for writing a wonderful review.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
2022 Reading Goal: 40
2022 Goal Completion: 72%

Post by Regard003 »

Who shall separate us from the love of God. Nothing, not in life or death. I find this book amazing. I totally intend to read it
Natalie Sheph
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-sheph.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by Natalie Sheph »

The cover and the title are intriguing, and the storyline seems to be faithful and filled with hope. Thanks for your well-written review.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

I will definitely read this book later. Your review of this book has captured my interest in it. Do did a great job. Well done 👍

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”