Review of Nimue

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Nimue

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nimue" by Ayn Cates Sullivan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our world is filled with various myths and legends — almost every culture has theirs. The Arthurian myth has always interested me since I watched Merlin. So, seeing a familiar name in Nimue: Freeing Merlin makes the book a necessary read. I am more intrigued by the author's new take on the myth.

Nina was a seventeen-year-old girl whose family shared a deep love for mythology. Life got more interesting when she and her mom traveled to Britain, her mom's hometown. With an old dream nagging her, she sought answers from a local healer. The answers would lead to more questions, setting up a chain of reactions involving time traveling and a discovery of her true identity. What was in store for her in 5th-century Britain? What destiny would she choose for herself when given options?

My first take would be on the level of research Ayn Cates Sullivan did before writing. It reflected on the pages in the level of detail it contained and accuracy in descriptions. The glossary was much appreciated; she used it as a medium of clarification and to link old myths to modern times. Although some of the Celtic words were tongue twisters, they were enlightening.

The images illustrated were appealing, especially the symbols drawn. I spent ample time just enjoying the artistry — not only were they aesthetically pleasing, but they also held some relevance in the pages they were shown and added a rich texture to the overall feel of the book. She spared no opportunity to showcase art, even on the cursive headers. It was a well-thought-out book.

The plot that tied the myths together was an interesting one. It started pretty simply and mundanely; then, it gradually eased into a more intricate one. There wasn't any grandiose fight or large-scale conflict. Yet, it was enrapturing. The author's storytelling was a delight and had this feminine touch that made it more emotional. It suited the first-person perspective used for our protagonist.

I loved the romance. However, I had to adjust my knowledge of what I know about Morgana, Nimue, and Emrys from Merlin. The book went deeper into the plot, and the romance between Emrys and Nimue felt larger than life. It also felt bittersweet, as most romance would tend to be.

I had a swell time when reading Nimue: Freeing Merlin; it was the right mix of everything that would make a good book. It was professionally edited with a few errors. There was nothing to dislike. Therefore, I'd give it a deserving 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to lovers of mythological books. If you followed the Merlin series, you'd be better placed to understand the author's angle in deepening the original plot.

Nimue
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oluwakemi_ Awe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwakemi-awe.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Oluwakemi_ Awe »

ok. this book seem really complicated. Mythology an ancient stuff might not be for me.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

I love new takes on old legends! I recently read one that derived from Alice in Wonderland, so I’ll be delighted to see this author’s take on the Arthurian legend. It is also a relief to see that the author did justice to the book on all fronts.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

I love ancient myths - intriguing and somehow realistic. I love that you gave it a 4 stars rating. I must read it.
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

I admit that seeing Merlin in the title also peaked my interest. But as much as I want to like this book, I just can’t seem to do so. It feels like the place of the review is affecting my view of the book itself. I’ll add it to my reading list just incase.
Esther Godwin Ogechi
Currently Reading: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant’s Farm
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-godwin-ogechi.html
Latest Review: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin by Andri E. Elia

Post by Esther Godwin Ogechi »

I've always loved mythologies and the Arthurian legend is one of my personal favorites.
For I know the thought I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.Jeremiah 29:11
Flavia murugi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Flavia murugi »

The Arthurian legend has been my favorite especially after watching merlin.This is definitely the book for me .I'm so anxious to read it.
Mwanakheri Mwanakheri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mwanakheri Mwanakheri »

This world identify that is filled with various myths and legends almost every calture has theirs, that enables everyone maintain and to modulate the Arthurian myths has always interested.
Nina was seventeen girls, old girl, whose family shown deep love for mythology, this life got more interesting when in the travelling capture and discovering the true identify that show a good and confidence mind, that's the image illustrated were a special the symbol that drawn. This so intered book in short I dertemined the special identification.
Mwanakheri Mwanakheri
Currently Reading:

Post by Mwanakheri Mwanakheri »

This book is very interested, by travelling tours enables their family to make identification and collaborate the real situation by identify what real are!!, this just a symbol by using travelling and watch a merin.
In the travelling you discovering the true identity.
SHARIF ADAMS ABUBAKARI

Post by SHARIF ADAMS ABUBAKARI »

I recently read one that derived from Alice in Wonderland, so I’ll be delighted to see this author’s take on the Arthurian legend.I love that you gave it a 4 stars rating.
Mostafa Khaled 2

Post by Mostafa Khaled 2 »

i like ancient myths - intriguing and somehow realistic. I love that you gave it a 4 stars rating. I must read it.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

I am a HUGE fan of Arthurian legend, starting when I was ten and picked up my mother's copy of T. H. White's The Sword in the Stone. I spent the entire summer of 2015 reading Arthurian novels, starting with Le Morte d'Artur, on to Mary Stewert, Bernard Corwell, John Steinbeck, and Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon series. I thought I was done--that I had read everything worthwhile--until I read your review of Nimue. Your description shows that another take on this timeless story is worth the time. I am now downloading all three books in this series--thank you so much for the detail you included in your review.
Harini Ganesan
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harini-ganesan.html
Latest Review: The Best People: A Tale of Trials and Errors by Marc Grossberg

Post by Harini Ganesan »

After seeing your review I want read it ASAP,I'm in the middle of another book so once I finished that I'll read this one.
Ams Strong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ams-strong.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ams Strong »

Great review. I am interested in the art displayed in the book. Was this art from the author or mere reproductions of existing art? Did this book uncover any new facts about the myth as we know it?
Anaïs Quesson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

As a major mythology nerd, I would love to learn more about the Arthurian myth. Sadly, my knowledge stops at Disney's The Sword in the Stone: I'm very excited to discover this book, especially if the author's research was thorough and worth mentioning. I will definitely read this as soon as possible!
Thank you for this amazing review, Congratulations on book of the day :)
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”