Review of Driving Toward Destiny

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Review of Driving Toward Destiny

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Driving Toward Destiny" by Tim Scott.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our life experiences and travels shape us. That cannot be more true than in Driving Toward Destiny by Tim Scott. This self-discovery and adventure novel, at its core, centers around Jack Higgins and his exciting voyage around Europe on a motorbike. The story begins in 1972. Having recently graduated from college, Jack faces the likelihood of being selected for military service through the draft and believes that being drafted to Vietnam will lead to his death. Feeling frustrated about his situation and trapped as a result of his parents' social constraints and lifestyle, Jack escapes to Berlin seeking a better understanding of himself, seeking to realize the path to his purpose, and seeking to gain experience from life and people. He purchases a BMW motorcycle, which helps in his journey of discovery. This journey takes him across different countries and leads him to more adventures than he could have ever imagined.

Driving Toward Destiny has many positive aspects. This book will resonate with readers on a quest to uncover their potential and a sense of purpose. Tim perfectly presents practical ways of answering life's most challenging and troubling questions. The theme of discovery was explored in Jack's interactions with characters like Piet, Hans, and Emile. I enjoyed the subtle life lessons woven throughout this work. This is more than just a story of motorbike trips; it is also a helpful philosophical journey. One of my favorite passages from this book is, "Everyone's journey in life is ultimately a plan that is unique and personal to them." Also, Tim incorporates teachings and quotes from important works. Such works include "The Tyger" by William Blake; "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse; and "On the Consolation of Philosophy" by Boethius, among others.

Furthermore, the author's impressive style of writing will attract and retain the reader's attention. His lively and richly detailed descriptions of Jack's road trips and near-death experiences enabled me to visualize them. He was also able to craft emotionally driven, intimate scenes. Despite being lengthy, I discovered a few dialogue errors and grammatical mistakes while reading this book. This proves that it was professionally edited and refined to its essential excellence.

Lastly, this book was very enlightening; Tim writes about a few events of the Second World War and tales of Greek mythology. What I love about this book is that through all his travel adventures, Jack becomes a more confident man and comes to know himself in surprising ways. This is an absorbing and candid coming-of-age story. This book does not have any negative aspects. Thanks to the author's vivid descriptions, I was able to explore Berlin, Yugoslavia, Greece, Germany, Austria, Italy, and France alongside Jack.

Overall, this endlessly enthralling tale will offer its readers opportunities to stretch their imaginations and widen their knowledge. An absolute must-read! For the reasons highlighted above, I rate this book four out of four stars. If you are interested in travel and self-searching books, I highly recommend you read this book.

Driving Toward Destiny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

There are a lot os adult children who feel as if they have to. Be just like their parents and don’t want to. Yet, very few of them pursue a different path. I’m impressed that Jack did. Running away from the draft was not the best choice, however.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”