Review of The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Edigbo B Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edigbo-b-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Review of The Reel Sisters

Post by Edigbo B Emmanuel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Your life can benefit greatly from friendships. Good friends push you to grow as a person and teach you about yourself. When things get difficult, they motivate you to keep going and join you in celebrating your victories. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a fictional novel filled with adventure, self-discovery, and tragedy. It’s a story about five female fly fishers (as written in the book) who learn more about themselves through their friendship and fly fishing.

A group of four female fly fishers, despite their differences in age and culture, are joined together in friendship through the sport of fly fishing. They are all able to discover themselves and weather the storm that comes into their lives individually, in a unique way. One day, they all went fly fishing on the river, when they suddenly heard the voice of someone screaming for help. They looked at the river and saw a young lady being swept away by the river current. They all turned to save the young woman. The events that unfold after this incident change their lives forever. What could it be? Read the book to find out more.

The book is divided into sections rather than the normal chapter-by-chapter division. It has no table of contents. However, just as a section is about to begin, there is a quote curled out from a book written on fly fishing by another author. In each section, the stories written are grouped into each character’s personal narration, with the character’s name at the top. The author gives each character the ability to tell their own story. These stories contain the character’s history, personal life, challenges they are facing, and their journey to self-discovery. The words used are easy to read and understand.

I like the author's style of writing, whereby she gives the five major characters in the novel the ability to tell their side of the story. These stories connect to each other properly. The author gives full information about any character in the novel, making it relatable. I liked that the book started off calmly and got me hooked in the middle with a lot of adventure and tragedy. I admire how the author uses the characters to show the power of friendship and how, both individually and collectively, they are able to discover themselves and overcome the challenges they face in their lives. My favorite character in this book is Sophie. I see her as a strong, determined, and lovely lady who happens to form the bedrock on which the ladies’ friendship is built. I like that each of the personalities of the five female fly fishers matches a different characteristic of a fly fishing outfit (rod, reel, line, leader, and fly).

I dislike nothing about the book, as it is professionally edited. There were a few errors, but they did not impede my reading experience. The stories were properly connected and well-structured. For this reason, I rate The Reel Sisters 4 out of 4 stars.

In conclusion, I believe this book will go a long way in educating the reader on the importance of friendship, how it pushes you to be a better version of yourself, and what the journey of self-discovery entails. I would recommend this book to readers looking for an adventure book.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adeleye Seun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeleye-seun.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Adeleye Seun »

Dealing with people from different background or ethnic can be an headache, but Rose, Veronica, Amanda and Sophie, didn't not just come together as one but also work on the same goals.... This is a great review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”