Review of A Rebel with a Cause

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of A Rebel with a Cause

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Rebel with a Cause" by Crystal Maracle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered how bereaved parents feel at the death of their child? Have you ever imagined how the siblings and child/children of the deceased react to the news of the death? Have you lost any of your child/children to the cold hands of death? Then, I urge you to get this book, A Rebel With A Cause: The Trials And Tribulations Of A Bereaved Parent by Crystal Maracle.

Crystal starts this book with the birth of her first daughter, Keisha. She writes about how their lives were and how she had to deal with an abusive husband. Her daughter grew up in an abusive home until her father left them. They started to get their life together again before Keisha met Robey, an abusive man worse than her father. Her mother tried to talk her out of it, but she didn’t heed her words. She died later on, and the reason for her death was closely associated with Robey. After her death, the whole family was hurt and in pain; they each dealt with it differently. Crystal writes this book for other bereaved parents. It contains different ways to handle grief both normally and abnormally. It contains a whole lot, even on how to help children handle grief.

The way Crystal starts this book is beautiful. It is a book for bereaved parents, but she started it with the story of her child's birth. She went as far as telling us all the trials she passed through with her daughter and the emotional blackmail she had to face from the father of her first child. She actually followed a particular plot for this book which I must say is commendable. I know that while writing this book, she was reliving the pains and heartbreaks she went through, but she still wrote it for other bereaved parents because she wanted to be some sort of support system for them since she had none while she was going through pain. This would help a lot of bereaved parents out there.

I knew that bereaved parents feel pain at the death of their child, but I didn’t know the extent of pain they feel until I read this book. I learned what abuse and emotional blackmail could do to an individual from this book. I learned that we should not allow downgrading words to get to you. Crystal writes a lot of tips on how to deal with grief in this book. Not only for parents but for the deceased children and siblings. She emphasized the importance of bereaved people having a shoulder to cry on or even a friend to talk to. I was marveled when I found out where Crystal got the title of this book from.

I didn’t find anything to dislike about this book. I found three minor grammatical errors in this book. This leads me to the conclusion that it was professionally edited.

Because of the amount of knowledge I gained from this book, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. It is well-deserved. The positive aspects I stated above are more than enough reason for my rating. There was no reason for me to give it a lower rating. I recommend this book to bereaved parents and to people who have gone through or are going through abuse.

A Rebel with a Cause
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

This book really made me emotional. We don't know what certain people pass through until we hear from them.
A must read.
Nice review.
Ivan Mukaaga
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-mukaaga.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ivan Mukaaga »

Everyone has lost someone. This means this book is for everyone.I really felt for Crystal and the whole Keisha’s family for loss of their daughter, Keisha. Thanks.
Hanz Xyz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hanz Xyz »

I enjoy reading the book heaven for kids, very interesting and good to learn all family to teach them children to be like Emma and to living what good is God to us.
I give 4 because i learned for this book...
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Unfortunately, children usually follow the actions of their parents and not their words. I imagine writing this book was cathartic for Crystal and knowing that she might help someone else made her feel better.
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

This is a great review. I would like to learn a lot about bereaved parents. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”