Review of Sunnyside Up

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Shadows of Pecan Hollow
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Michael Trudeau
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 62%

Review of Sunnyside Up

Post by diana lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sunnyside Up" by Rea Nolan Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sunnyside Up is not listed as a mystery because readers are not really trying to guess who the murderer is; they
are trying to decide where the borders lie between life and death. Somehow the collisions between flashbacks and flash-forwards and between mortals and ghosts do not hinder the comprehension, and the storyline flows along smoothly amidst the confusion. As you might infer from the open grave on the cover, many of the characters are in various stages of being buried in the cemetery plot next to the Sunnyside Up Funeral Home and Chicken Farm. Rea Nolan Martin has used her amazing talent to craft one of the most bizarre and compelling books I have ever read. If you are someone who doesn't like to be able to predict the outcome when you are reading, this is the book for you.

Trying to write a summary of this novel is difficult. The story mostly takes place in Outskirt, Kentucky. The time period from the early 1900s to 2021 is not in chronological or linear order. The main characters are sisters, Adelaide and Felicity Somers. They grew up in the funeral home and inherited it after their parents died. Their activities involve other family members and various individuals from the community. The circumstances of their lives allow for many philosophical discussions about life, death, and one's existence. There is humor, horror, and honesty. At times, I was as confused as the characters.

I am thankful that the author chose to end many of the chapters with an obituary. These humorous articles helped me to sort out some of the plot details and keep track of the body count. Another of my favorite aspects of this book is the use of poetic prose. This line is just one example of many beautiful passages: "On the horizon, the raspberry sky melts over the creamy orange sun like a bowl of peach melba." I also like the uncanny ability of the author to include the Kentucky hill dialect into the third-person narrative, which made reading a rhetorical delight.

The use of dialect in the narrative called for bypassing grammatical conventions, but it definitely increased the storytelling aspect. While those instances were intentional and forgivable, I was not a fan of the rule-breaking use of random italics. In my experience, they did not add anything positive. Every time I saw the title of the family business in italics, I cringed a little.

I am not normally a fan of paranormal, other-worldly, ghost-filled novels, but this one earns a four out of four stars. The situations and characters, although preposterous, are somehow realistic. I recommend it to readers who have already enjoyed exploring the nether world and to readers who have always thought they wouldn't enjoy such a tale. It combines romance, mystery, comedy, and family bonding with a healthy dose of immortality. If you have a hard time telling your dreams from your memories, you will relate to this book perfectly.

Sunnyside Up
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Lion of Camelot by Robert Murray
fav_author_id: 2484
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Saint Bruno »

I enjoyed reading your review! I always look out for humor in fiction books, so I am sure I'd love this one. I also think the book cover is symbolic of the narrations therein. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
OTrain M
Currently Reading: The Dog of Saint Petersburg
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-m.html
Latest Review: The Third Order by Wendy Sura Thomson
2022 Reading Goal: 70
2022 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by OTrain M »

Thank you for sharing this well-detailed review. The book is not in chronological or logical order? And it span between 1900s to 2021? I don't think I will be able to enjoy it.
diana lowery

Post by diana lowery »

Saint Bruno wrote: 05 Aug 2022, 23:13 I enjoyed reading your review! I always look out for humor in fiction books, so I am sure I'd love this one. I also think the book cover is symbolic of the narrations therein. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
Thank you for your comment. Beware, the humor in this book is a bit twisted.
diana lowery

Post by diana lowery »

OTrain M wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 04:49 Thank you for sharing this well-detailed review. The book is not in chronological or logical order? And it span between 1900s to 2021? I don't think I will be able to enjoy it.
It is not an easy read, but it is entertaining. Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”