Review of When The Owl Speaks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: The Great Pandemic by Nicola Maria Corcoran
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 94%

Review of When The Owl Speaks

Post by Raymond N »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When The Owl Speaks" by W. H. Jansen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Doug Pearson decides to make his research in the Central Canadian Arctic. As a first-timer, he has problems navigating his way around. He's not prepared for the cold weather and the significant difference in culture. Coming this far for his research purpose has already cost him his girlfriend, and things are not going as planned. There is a mystery surrounding deaths in this Artic, and someone plans to kill Doug. Has he made the right choice moving here for his research?

When Doug moved to the research center, he never thought he would have a hard time choosing between two women. Alice is the caretaker at the research center; Mary works at The Bay. With very contrasting personalities, both women seem to be very interesting.

When The Owl Speaks by W.H. Jansen is a captivating novel that features mystery, romance, and adventure; and this is one of the reasons I was intrigued by this book. It was a perfect blend of different themes, and I had no dull moment while reading this book. I must commend the narration of this story. Characters were described humorously, and I could imagine how they looked. One of the moments that cracked me up was when a character was described as having a gait better suited to a thinner person. Attention was paid to details in this book, and this made my reading experience worth it.

The love triangle in this book made me very eager to find out what happened at the ending. Though it had a satisfying ending, I enjoyed the confusion in Doug's head while it lasted. This read had a lot of suspense, and it kept me glued to it. I liked that no aspect of this story was sacrificed for another. The romance was steamy, the mystery was quite spooky, and the adventures were exciting. The storyline was intriguing, and at no point could I predict what the next line of action was.

I found some errors while reading this book. However, since they were not up to ten, I believe that this book was professionally edited. There was nothing I disliked about this book. Though I wish the errors didn't exist, so I could say that every single thing about this book was perfect. From my analysis, it's clear that this book deserves a perfect rating. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Since I had no issues with it, there is nothing worth deducting a star for.

This book contains a good level of romance, so readers who are not keen on reading such books may want to skip this. This is an intriguing mystery; readers of mystery should enjoy reading this book.

When The Owl Speaks
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 640
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles by T. August Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Everything is scarier when you’re not familiar with the way things work. Good description really makes a book better. When the characters are described well that’s just a bonus.
ExcellenceAwuzie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ExcellenceAwuzie »

The sight of the book's title really got my attention. Seeing the title I was l Iike, did an owl speak?
Moreover, the book contains more great qualities than I earlier thought it would.
Wonderful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”