Official Review: Backlash by D.L. Thomas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: Backlash by D.L. Thomas

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Backlash" by D.L. Thomas.]
Book Cover for 2516
Share This Review

Have you ever longed to go on an adventure in search of treasure, such as in those long ago stories and fables? Perhaps one would think that all the treasures have been dug up and nothing remains to be found. However, in the novel Backlash, we follow Quinn Lewis as he goes on one such adventure in search of a long lost treasure horde.

Backlash is a fast paced adventure type novel written by D.L. Thomas. It all begins when Quinn Lewis is kidnapped by Michael Stonewood, a rich businessman, who is in search of a treasure mentioned by his Great Uncle Pete in his journal. Lewis and an assortment of other experts are all gathered together and forcibly employed to help Stonewood find the long lost treasure. Amongst the group is Gonzalez, a cave diving expert; Pierre, an expert mountaineer; Dr Miller, an archaeologist; Samantha, an explosives expert; some other guards employed by Stonewood and of course Quinn Lewis, the Solutions Engineer, who is usually employed by big companies to use his problem solving skills.

Problems arise before they even begin their journey underwater. They have competition. Others who have learnt about the hidden treasure and are also after it; this of course leads to a confrontation.

The first part of the journey towards where the treasure is hidden has to be taken under a river. Unfortunately, once they have made it through the river to what is an underwater cave; they become stuck when an avalanche of rocks blocks their way back out. With their limited resources they need to try and find another way out of the cave. This means they need to put their survival first and let the treasure hunt take a backseat. They have to battle against their time and resources running out, as well as several suspicious happenings which make them wary of one another.

A lot of the time Lewis has to use his problem solving skills to get them through the problems they come across; and much of the complications are solved using ingenuity and good old common sense.

I found this book enjoyable, and I am sure many other people would find it just as pleasurable. It is a genre for a specific type of person. This is meant to be a fast paced novel where the reader is ripped through a whirlwind of sheer terror and exhilaration while not having moved from the comfort of their seat. I am certain those who like outdoor adventures or are adrenaline junkies would thoroughly enjoy this book. Although it belongs in the Thriller, Adventure and Mystery genre, it does also contain a certain amount of humour as well as an underlying spark of romance. It is well written and has a captivating storyline and for this reason I would give it a four out of four stars.

Buy "Backlash" on Amazon
Buy "Backlash" on Barnes and Noble

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

This sounds pretty awesome... I love a good adventure from the comfort of my home. I am going to add this to my reading list. Thanks for the review!
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
stoppoppingtheP

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

This sounds like a great adventure story. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
stoppoppingtheP

It is a definitely a great Whirlwind of adventure. :D

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”