Review of Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Review of Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise" by John K Danenbarger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can you imagine a work of fiction without a protagonist? Entanglement – Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger is just that. It is a book that features a handful of disparate characters, some of whom are of questionable disposition. Yet they are recognisable. We can relate to them because we see ourselves, or some aspects of ourselves, in them. Each one is given a significant amount of attention. They narrate their own stories. Beth the waif, Joe the gay stripper, Kevin the serial killer, Davis the amoral nomad, and Geena the ordinary one are actually connected over many decades in ways that only gradually become evident. One might even describe their lives as entangled. This is an intense and suspenseful book with the theme of the meaning of life and, mostly, death. The elements explored through the characters include love and hate, sexuality, child abuse, suicide, murder, and even slavery. It is not until the last chapter that the intensity abates and yields some satisfaction. Or maybe it does not. That is something the reader is left to decide.

I must admit that the book’s title led me to expect a dispassionate physics-based focus. Far from that, it is really about human nature and the extent to which we do or do not have control over our individual destinies. It turned out to be one of the easiest books in which to identify what I was most impressed with, even if that discovery was born of frustration caused by how disjointed and unrelated the chapters seemed. They appeared to be short insignificant stories. As I read on it became evident that Danenbarger skilfully weaved those stories into one big one to make it a true literary fiction.

There were also a couple of specific take-away messages for me that stemmed from the moralising aspect of the book. One was a nugget about a genie and a girl that evoked the common phrase, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. The other had to do with the eternal nature-versus-nurture question. It concerned Davis and how identical his behaviour was to that of his adoptive father Kevin. These are just a few of many engaging points for philosophical thought that I came across.

I found some of the descriptions and conversations too detailed, perhaps even monotonous. But that is highly subjective and indicative of a personal preference. I realise that other readers may find those aspects essential to the story. Therefore, I did not let any of that detract from my reading experience.

When I was fully three chapters in, I was pretty sure that I would give this book a poor rating. Instead, I gladly give it a rating of four out of four. The seemingly independent chapters are all related and are skilfully weaved together. Although death stalks this book and gives it a darkness that can deter many readers, it serves a purpose. That purpose is only evident only if you read each and every chapter carefully. In addition, the grammar and editing are excellent. I encountered only one error. Danenbarger mixes colloquial and formal language so naturally that you do not get lost between a character’s perspective and the objective narrative designed for the reader.

This book will really leave you with some fundamental questions. Mine ranged from the abstract to the individual level. For example: What is time anyway? Who among your loved ones do you really know? Is it sometimes better to break ties with people in your life and put them behind you? If you are not put off by this kind of uncertainty, then I recommend this book to you. You need to get to the end, and perhaps keep jumping back to a few chapters here and there, before you truly grasp the story. So those who are not that patient may want to steer clear of this one.

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

An excellent style you prove in this review! I loved the book as well.
Mikail Nurur-Rahman1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahman1.html
Latest Review: Ituy by Taylor Willingham

Post by Mikail Nurur-Rahman1 »

Your review is really comprehensive and concise. I have just started reading this book and thanks to you I am looking forward to reading it to the end and discovering this wonderful story. Character development and interaction is one of the things I enjoy most in a novel.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”