Official Review: The Remnants by W.P. Osborn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: The Remnants by W.P. Osborn

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Remnants" by W.P. Osborn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Remnants is the story of Danny and Rose’s relationship, beginning in pre-World War I England and spanning multiple continents through the course of World War I. It is a saga framed by a period of tumultuous change during the war. Danny is an orphan who enlists in the Army to avoid jail time for a minor offense. Rose is a housemaid in an English country estate, who yearns for a life other than the confining English class system that limits her choices. The teenager Rose meets Danny by chance when going to town for a rare afternoon outing with another housemaid. They quickly fall in love, and they soon make plans for a better life. She promises to wait for him to come home, a common refrain among women during wartime.

The book is a riveting saga that takes the reader on a tour of romantic adventure, historical interest, wartime chaos and despair, and the power of the human spirit. I couldn’t put this book down. I am a Downtown Abbey fan, so I was drawn to this book right from the first few chapters. Still, the book is so much more than that. It is a tour de force of the quest for a better life, and the war’s wide-ranging effect on people’s lives.

I was amazed at the author’s skill in threading all the stories together. It is a difficult task to pull together different storylines and settings in several countries. The book is jam-packed with wartime events in far-reaching places, yet the author is able to seamlessly take the reader through the various parts of the story. I was kept interested throughout the book, wondering what would happen to all of the characters, even the minor ones.

The characters were finely drawn, and they came to life on the pages. This book would make an excellent TV series or movie, and a good choice for a book club discussion. Danny and Rose are genuine, likeable characters, and I became emotionally attached to them and their friends. Their romance is heartwarming, and their struggles are realistic. Even when their choices are not the best, you still find yourself rooting for them. The descriptions of Edwardian England, India, and the war battles in Europe are particularly well written. The sections in Canada are also interesting, yet not as vividly drawn as the other settings.

The preface explains that this is the story of the author’s grandparents. I found this particularly touching. The characters’ story stayed with me after I finished reading, and I wanted to know even more about their lives after the war. Hopefully, the author will consider writing a sequel, and continue to tell Danny and Rose’s story. I loved this book and was sorry to read the last page. It was like leaving an old friend. The story is a perfect recipe of love, adventure, history, suspense, despair, loss, and resilience. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Buy "The Remnants" on Amazon
Buy "The Remnants" on Barnes and Noble
Buy "The Remnants" on iTunes
View hassle-free sample of "The Remnants"
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Your review of The Remnants was a fascinating one. After reading it I had to add it to my TBR list. I am also a Downtown Abbey fan. When you compared it to one of my favorites of all time, I knew this was a must read for me. The book sounds both touching and quite riveting. Great review.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Ooooh... I was intrigued from the get go, but the Downton Abbey comparison sold me. Thanks for the great review. I will be adding this to my reading list.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the lovely review.

I was debating about reading it and I am glad you liked it. It sounds intriguing.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I stayed up until 3 AM to finish this book....that's how much I loved it. It was one of those books where I was sad to see it end. I want the author to write a sequel or turn the book into a mini-series.....or do both!
zoedecicco
Favorite Book: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoedecicco.html
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide

Post by zoedecicco »

Great review! This isn't the kind of book I normally like, but I can certainly appreciate it from what you have written.
"80% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

"There are no small parts, only small actors." - Constantin Stanislavski
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Zoedecicco, Thanks for the kind words.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

This book sounds very interesting and one that I would like to add to my reading list. I have been interested in stories set during the world wars just because my parents lived through those troubling times and I think it gives me some kind of idea of what life must have been like for them. This story sounds like one that would be very interesting to read because of all the historical background and settings.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Amheiser,
Once you start reading, you won't be able to be put this book down. The passages about the war are very memorable and really bring home the reality of the effects of war.
TheMusicalMuse
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Currently Reading: The Druid's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themusicalmuse.html
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
fav_author_id: 3006

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

"It was like leaving an old friend." That's how you know the book was worth reading. I felt that way about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society", another war-time novel. This book sounds right up my alley; I actually had a many-greats-grandfather who left his family and their wealth around this time period to marry a servant girl. Thanks for a great, intriguing review!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

TheMusicalMuse wrote:"It was like leaving an old friend." That's how you know the book was worth reading. I felt that way about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society", another war-time novel. This book sounds right up my alley; I actually had a many-greats-grandfather who left his family and their wealth around this time period to marry a servant girl. Thanks for a great, intriguing review!
What an interesting story about your ancestor! The funny thing about this book is that it was probably the longest book I read for this site, yet the pages flew by and I finished it fairly quickly.

I checked The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society book out of the library once, but never started it. Just bad timing....I had other books that I was busy reading at the time and it got pushed aside.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

Thank you so much for your review. I loved the show Downton Abbey, so if this book is like that show as you say, then I am sure that I would really like it. I am now very intrigued knowing that it is based on actual people. I love stories that are so fantastic they don't seem real, and then you learn that they are based on actual events.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Very in depth review. Congratulations on being BOTD! Normally I'm not much of a romance reader but thanks to the reviews I decided to give it a read.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the review! This book sounds really good, I'm also a fan of Downton Abbey and I find it really cool that this novel tells the story of the author's grandparents!
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

Thank you for the review. The book sounds intriguing.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”