Review of America's top 30 idioms and their origins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review of America's top 30 idioms and their origins

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "America's top 30 idioms and their origins" by fred engh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

America's Top 30 Idioms and their Origins by Fred Engh is a quick and educational read. The book explains the meaning and history of the thirty idioms found in the English language. From this book, among other valuable specifics, we will learn why it is important to "let the cat out of the bag," why we admire "sliced bread" that much, and what historical figure stands behind the expression, "Katie, bar the door."

I liked the author's way of presenting the idioms. He does it straight to the point, offering amusing facts and providing us with historical data. I appreciate that the book touches on commonly used, so a bit rare idiomatic expressions. For instance, I didn't know much about the idiom "off your rocker" until reading this book. Also, I was always wondering what "bite the dust" meant. The book explains it exhaustively. It was very interesting to learn that a wish to "break a leg" exceeds the theatrical world and may have an ancient origin. It is worth adding that the writing style is simple and very appealing, while the amount of facts is not debilitating.

I liked the brilliant illustrations by talented Todd Van Linda. These illustrations accompany every idiom, humorously emphasizing its meaning. My favorite one depicts two camels sitting at the bar table, looking at a straw in a glass with hilarious "facial" expressions. I believe that you can guess what idiom it complements. Besides their entertaining quality, these illustrations would help readers memorize the meaning of the idioms better.

There wasn't anything to dislike about this book. I found up to six errors and typos, like a missing closing quotation mark or missing commas between the clauses. However, they didn't spoil my pleasure from reading, and I believed that the book was professionally edited. It is my great pleasure to award it 4 out of 4 stars. I couldn't give the book a lesser rating because of the author's non-orthodox approach to introducing idioms, among many other positive aspects of the book.

I recommend the book to English learners. But native English speakers would also benefit from reading this book. Established linguists and researchers would enjoy it, for the book widens the perspective on idioms' roots and development. Finally, the book would appeal to fans of humorous prose. I must add that the book is suitable for readers from 18 years of age as it has some instances of minor profanity and mentions types of execution in the context of history.

America's top 30 idioms and their origins
View: on Bookshelves
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

The book is a quick and educational read. It explains the meaning and history of the thirty idioms found in the English language. The author presents the idioms straight to the point, offering amusing facts and providing us with historical data. This makes it an interesting read.
The review is superb.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
Danie Rock
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Danie Rock »

Actually this book tells about idioms that 30 in english language. Author tells about fact and what the best part of it at idioms. I hope you can enjoy my statement. Thanks.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This us one book I would be sure to enjoy reading. English is my second language and it would be a plus to learn about idioms. Thank you for your recommendation!
Nina Vanderbilt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-vanderbilt.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nina Vanderbilt »

This seems like an educational and informative book that I would like to read in the future. Also, I like the fact that there are illustrations for every idiom, it gives a bit of a humorous vibe. Great review!
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

It'd be fun to read this book and throw in a random idiom in a conversation and watch people's minds working to make sense of it! Lovely review!
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

I find a book on the main idioms of the English language fascinating. It is also attractive that the presentation is straight to the point, offering fun facts, providing historical data, and including excellent illustrations that provide entertainment and a way to memorize the meanings. Excellent option.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

This would certainly be a very interesting book. Those idioms may have had their origin in America but it known all over the world, as I grew up with it Sout Africa.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 607
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Great idea, but the book is very difficult to read on my phone with the Kindle app. I hope that the author can fix the formatting, as I would otherwise like to read this. Congrats on BOTD.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

This book is a perfect read. I really love it. And I'm very sure I will have a wonderful time reading it. Many congratulations to the author on BOTD
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I like how the author describes these idioms and their origins in a unique and humorous way. The illustrations by Todd are awesome. It's great to read something that can make you smile, laugh and be educational at the same time.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83542
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1112%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book of the day BOTD is non fiction " idioms" a resource for learning American English it has all the information and illustration! idioms can confuse many folks because they are difficult to understand,idioms are are also expression that doesn't make sense people have no idea what they really are some people call it figures of speech because they don't follow grammar or syntax value I love how the author brought out the story its so we'll written and reviewed I will recommend this book because it's a must read
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

As an English learner and teacher, I find this book very useful. Idioms are difficult to master, one might learn their whole life and still not know them all. I liked the illustrations and explanations. Great review as well!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I'm not an English learner but since I'm not a native English speaker, I always benefit immensely from this kind of book. And the illustrations should help drive the point home.
Thanks!
Julie B 3
Currently Reading: Gateways to Psychotherapy
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-b-3.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Julie B 3 »

It must be really fun to learn about the origin of so many idioms we hear every day! Sounds interesting.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”