Review of The Arrow That Flies By Day

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blosswithdbun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blosswithdbun.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of The Arrow That Flies By Day

Post by Blosswithdbun »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Arrow That Flies By Day" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Arrow that Flies by Day is an inspiring fictional novel written by John Servant. The book tells the story of an ex-marine, John Thaddeus, who is determined to achieve his dream of playing in the National Football League (NFL), despite all the obstacles life had thrown at him.

John Thaddeus had always been passionate about football, even as a child. His father played a huge part in his football ambition. His father trained him to be a kicker, supported him, and helped him get back on his feet after he had sustained a serious injury that could’ve stopped him from playing entirely. The death of his father was a major tragedy for John. The grief and pain he experienced soon turned into rebellion and rage. He constantly got into fights at school. As a result, his mom was forced to enlist him in the marines. During his time in the marines, John built his spirituality, confidence, and courage. Upon his discharge, John decided to take a bold step towards achieving his football dreams. He tried out for the Raptors football team, despite his lack of professional experience. What would be the outcome of this daring step?

This is a very impactful book. I liked that the themes of determination, resilience, and faith in God, amongst others, were expressed in the story. The protagonist, John, was an embodiment of these qualities. For instance, at the start of the novel, John showed great determination by walking a long distance, in an attempt to attend the Raptors’ practice. I also liked that a bit of romance was incorporated into the story. I always had butterflies in my stomach while reading conversations between John and Susan. The author, John Servant, is certainly a skilled writer. He showed immense skill in character development. A character that particularly stood out to me was Sister Frances, a nun and principal in John Thaddeus’ high school. Her kindness and selflessness are worthy of emulation. She supported John through the tough times and helped him grow in faith. We need more people like sister Frances in the world today. I also appreciated the length of the book. The author was able to deliver a great story in just 74 pages.

I give this book an overall rating of 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing I disliked about it. The plot was interesting. Despite being very inspirational, it was somewhat a tearjerker. The diction used was simple, and it was definitely professionally edited.

I recommend this book to Christians and lovers of Christian literature. I believe it would also appeal to enthusiasts of football as it is packed with football-related terms. I would also recommend this novel to anyone interested in building their faith and finding their purpose in life.

The Arrow That Flies By Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”