Review of Shoes on the Stairs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Shoes on the Stairs

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shoes on the Stairs" by Jan Steele.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Forty-six-year-old Claire is exhausted after a sleepless night listening to her husband, Brad, snoring and then trying to get her three children to school on time. Six-year-old Jazzy can never find her shoes, and 15-year-old Ivy and 18-year-old Edward are never ready to get up. She gets the kids off to school ten minutes late and contemplates her life. Claire is determined to be a “hands-on” mother active in every aspect of her children’s lives but regrets leaving her teaching job. She notices Edward forgot to pick up the signed detention form to return to the school. After giving their dog, Buddy, a kiss goodbye, Claire gets into Brad’s prized BMW and heads to the school. Driving and texting Edward that she is on the way to the school, she runs a light at an intersection and hits an Escalade. Claire is filled with regrets about things she has left unfinished and knows that there is nothing she can do because she is dead. But where is the white light she is supposed to go into? Will she have to watch her family without any physical interaction for the rest of eternity? Is she in Hell?

Shoes on the Stairs by Jan Steele is best described by the quote, “Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go” by Hermann Hesse at the beginning of the book. Jan Steele has done an exceptional job with this book. I could feel her fear and frustration as she watched her family grieve and struggle after her death, and she could not do anything to comfort or help them. There is humor throughout the book. For example, Claire notices at her funeral that all the flowers are lilies, and she has never liked them because they made her sneeze. I have often wondered if the deceased could hear what was said about them at funerals. After reading this book, I will be more careful about what I say at funerals. There are two aspects of this book that stood out to me. Firstly, never take your family and life for granted. Your death can happen anytime, whether you are ready or not. Secondly, never text and drive unless you are willing to die. I appreciate that Jan Steele is donating a percentage of her proceeds from this book to various anti-bullying campaigns.

Claire’s family life is realistic with the teenagers’ attitudes and struggles with bullying. Many teenagers will do anything to be popular no matter the risks involved, which is demonstrated throughout this book. There was nothing I disliked about this book. With its fast-paced, smooth-flowing plot and exceptional editing, this book has no negative aspects.

I am delighted to give this enjoyable book 4 out of 4 stars. I found no errors in this book and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. There is no justification for me to give this delightful book fewer stars.

I recommend this book to readers over 16 years of age who enjoy mysteries and books about life after death. If topics like attempted rape, bullying, and attempted murder are triggers for you, you may want to avoid this book. Also, this book may not be for you if you have recently lost a loved one or if Catholic funerals and prayers offend you. I must also caution that this book does contain non-borderline profanity.

Shoes on the Stairs
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The first thing I thought was, ‘Of course it has non-borderline profanity. It involves teenagers.’ I haven’t been a teen for a long time, but I have had one recently and I remember.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

This sounds like a book I could relate to. I love the title. I admire Herman Hesse. I enjoyed your review.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Books have the mission to teach, and of course, to entertain. Seems a interesting read.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”