Review of Mr.King of Spades

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nazzy_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nazzy.html
Latest Review: Trust Yourself Again Your Gaslighting Recovery by Dennis Chapman

Review of Mr.King of Spades

Post by Nazzy_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mr.King of Spades" by Dixy Gandhi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It all started when he was eighteen years old in high school. His best friend, Varun, was dating her best friend. They were the third wheels whenever their best friends were on a date. One day, he found himself running after her at the airport when he realized she was leaving for good. That was the beginning of their happy-sad story, which has now faded into memories. After twenty years of friendship and two years of marriage, every brick laid in the relationship has now sunk to the foundation. This is where the "King of Hearts" loses his queen. Now he's just the "King of Spades" left to find a new queen or get his queen back.

Mr. King of Spades by Dixy Gandhi is a well-written novel on pre-marriage, marriage, and post-marital life. The approach was from the present to the past, then back to the present, just like a backward tale. I can relate the whole book to creating a neat stack in a card game. This was very well mentioned in the book. The writer, in many instances, would refer to the Solitaire card game, and this was, to me, a balanced way of telling this story.

The concept of maturity in breakup was well defined. The story was written from his point of view, and he wrote it in a total display of maturity, even though I'm sure the character didn't know this about himself. It was stated in the book that “this story, however, is not an explanation of how things went wrong between us. I am sure if she wrote it, it would be a different story." This story is not a platform for appropriating blame on anyone. It's just two people trying to help each other find themselves after a failed marriage. From this, I learned that not every relationship should be considered worth a marriage commitment. I admire this positivity in the book.

A closure is a term everyone seeks to find expression in their lives after every difficult process. Like Palash and Meera, closure only begins with the realization of oneself. This was the best part of the book for me. I was trepidatious while reading the stories of their lives, and the introduction of closure in the book brought the relief I so much desired. Generally, I loved this book.

So, I rate Mr. King of Spades 4 out of 4 stars. I credit the author for his brilliance in writing such a heartwarming story, even though it was “without sudden plot twists, no drama and no surprises." It was a simple yet heartfelt story. I have no negative aspects to point out in the book. The book was professionally edited, as I didn't find numerous errors. I recommend this book to couples, both married and single. It covers a significant aspect of relationships, including friendship.

Mr.King of Spades
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 580
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles by T. August Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

While I believe a marriage should be forever, with some major exceptions, I don’t think divorce has to be a battle. There was something good that made you want to marry that person in the first place.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
fav_author_id: 3039
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

A good romance with no plott, nor twists, nor happy ending. Very interesting book.
Profeddy05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Profeddy05 »

Your review is not clear enough of what the book entails. I'm afraid I won't be reading this book.
Richard Azubike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-azubike.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Richard Azubike »

I do not like to read books about marriage so I must pass this one but your review shows that you understood the book very well

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”