Review of Dragonbreath

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Dragonbreath by Clifford E. Harwood

Review of Dragonbreath

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragonbreath" by Clifford E. Harwood.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dragonbreath, by Clifford Harwood, is a short thriller of about 116 pages. The U.S. Dance Pageant is due to be held in Tokyo. Fifty young female dancers leave the United States to take part in the pageant, but Japanese gangsters and corrupt officials conspire to kidnap the women and make them part of their international sex-trafficking operation. Enter Mike Davis. He’s an American expatriate living in Tokyo. He’s also a Vietnam veteran, a former Secret Service agent, and an ex-lover of the current U.S. First Lady. It’s maybe that last fact that makes him a man ‘tormented by his past and uncertain of his future.’ (page 12) An uncertain future is all you’ve got when the U.S. President wants you dead.

Mike lives on a boat, the ‘Fuji Maru’, that is owned by the elderly Mr Fujiyama. Mr Fujiyama is a former officer of the Imperial Japanese Navy. The pair find themselves caught up in the plot to kidnap the dancers. Trying desperately to save the women, they end up being pursued by a collection of corrupt law-enforcement officers, the Yakuza, and the President’s trusted hitman. Mike and Mr Fujiyama discover that the islands of Japan provide room to run but few places to hide.

There were two aspects of this book that I thought were particularly commendable. Firstly, it is very good on history. It weaves into the story events like the firebombing of Tokyo in 1945 that resulted in the deaths of around 100,000 civilians. That was something I was only vaguely aware of. The author also throws in references to other World War II incidents and characters that ground his story in reality. Secondly, the author is strong on technical detail. When he writes about engine functionality or the nuts and bolts of guns, you get the strong impression of someone who knows his subjects. As with the historical detail, this adds credibility to his writing.

I didn’t like that the book doesn’t have any chapter or section breaks. This makes it difficult, for example, to discern when there has been a change of scene or characters. Locations shift abruptly from one line to the next without warning, making it difficult to make sense of what is happening. I also thought the plot was creaky and the characters weakly drawn. Neither convinced me nor held my interest.

I rate this book two out of four stars. I am deducting one star for its poor structuring and another for the weaknesses in the plot and characters. The book is written for adults. It doesn’t contain any seriously profane language, but there are some references to sex that make it unsuitable for children. It has been very well edited; I found only a single, minor error. The book is aimed at readers who enjoy thrillers and crime novels.

Dragonbreath
View: on Bookshelves
Essy moonlight11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-moonlight11.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Essy moonlight11 »

The story seems interesting and giving to read after going through your summary. It's sad that the book is poorly structured since that's a major turn off to most readers. Nice review though.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
fav_author_id: 3039
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

My personal opinion is that a short book of 123 pages does not need much structuring. What the creaky plott concerns it most bee the involvement of the president in a sex traficking ring.
Nonetheless, a good review!
Profeddy05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Profeddy05 »

The plot is definitely interesting. However it had nothing t do with its topic; Dragonbreath.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 580
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles by T. August Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t really like books without chapter breaks. Like you said, it makes it hard to determine the scene, anything really.
Richard Azubike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-azubike.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Richard Azubike »

The author must work on the editing of the book, it contains a lot of errors and that was what I disliked about the book
Kushani Herath
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kushani Herath »

Interesting,but the author must work on the editing of the book
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Waliyat_24 »

This sounds interesting, but won't one her confused with the lots of characters? I'll definitely love to read this.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Waliyat_24 »

This sounds interesting and also complex. Thanks for a great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”