Review of Check

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Check

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Check" by Kedrick Eyle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Giving to a homeless person is one of the kindest things anyone could ever do, but who would have thought that this singular act of kindness would be the beginning of KJ’s problem. Kedrick Jr., also known as KJ, started experiencing a spiritual battle with dark forces against his people both in his dreams and the physical realm after he offered help to a homeless man. KJ, a man of color, always had a kind heart and a strong focus on helping others. He was also committed to helping his people realize the injustice, stigma, and seclusion meted out to them by the system. He visualized helping them see that they weren't each other’s foe but that there was a mutual adversary they had to confront together.

The dark side saw his kind heart, felt threatened by it, and decided to intervene and thwart Kedrick's dream before it became a reality—and so began the battle of wills. Did KJ succeed, or did he succumb to whatever fate was chosen for him?

Check by Kedrick Eyle is a book set in this modern-day era, with KJ as the main character. Kedrick's experiences were full of highs and lows, and the author's writing accurately conveyed the emotions in these moments. The main character was inspiring; he was resolute, strong, brave, selfless, and kind. It was interesting to read about Kedrick's efforts to provoke a noble movement and how some forces saw him as a threat because of it—a threat that needed to be removed.

What I liked most was the storyline, which was totally different from what I thought it would be. Whenever a story is told about a face-off between good and evil—especially with "Lucifer" thrown into the mix—you would naturally think it to be a story with religious undertones. This was not the case here, and refreshingly so, as it would have made the plot predictable. It was actually a story that explored the intricacies of racism and asked the "why" question concerning this ugly constituent of our social reality. There was enough in the story to put Kedrick in a situation that made him question his dreams and visions, and I was intrigued by how he navigated his circumstances.

The story was fast-paced, and there weren't too many characters for me to keep track of in the plot. The only flaw in this book is its lack of professional editing; I found several avoidable errors that a few rounds of editing would have caught. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to people going through any form of discrimination.

Check
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

Grammatical errors definitely dampen the quality of a book, however, the battle of wills KJ faces sounds like an interesting concept. Great review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Whenever you decide on an act, either good or bad, you don’t know the consequences and you don’t know who’s watching. Even so, it’s worth doing good.
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

This is a very strange story with a very strange twist. The act of kindness turning into a nightmare is something unheard of but I think that is what makes the book intriguing.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

I completely agree with your stance in the fourth paragraph. A face-off between good and evil doesn't leave much to imagination as the outcome is always a two-way thing. Great review.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Helping people in need is very hard. It's really a fight against evil, against a dark spirit.
Fine review!
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Wow. This is outrageous. It'd be nice to know how it all ends with KJ. Great review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”