Review of The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ozoab1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozoab1.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review of The Reel Sisters

Post by Ozoab1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Family is not always a group of people related by blood, and this is the case here as five ladies from different facets of life grow from just being friends to sisters. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a story that tells how these women show that true friendship is an important aspect of life and plays a great role. 

This is a story of real sisterhood. In this group of ladies, there are Rose, Sophie, Veronica, Amanda, and Melody. Rose was an older and more experienced fisher. She has been into the fly fishing sport for decades. She met Veronica on a plane. After hours of chatting with her, she invited her to join her to fish, which she agreed to. Amanda needed a getaway to relax from the numerous duties of being a teacher and a mother. Sophie, who found her true love in fly fishing, moved to Colorado from her family farm in Kansas. Melody joined the group later after a photo shoot gone wrong. 

Firstly, one must appreciate the friendship between these women. They were like sisters, even though they were not. I loved how these women still fly fished even though the sport was not common amongst women. This shows that they were not limited by their gender, and this will encourage people to keep fighting to curb gender discrimination in all aspects of life. The author spoke from the different perspectives of the women, and this gave me a full and complete view. The character development was impressive, and their personalities were well expressed. Real life experiences and emotions are all contained in this book. This book also gives a lot of information on fly fishing, and the enthusiasm with which it was talked about made it sound fun.

This book was a good read, but I disliked just one thing about it. It had a draggy start. There was a lot of background information and a long description of fly fishing, and this could make one lose interest in this book. Aside from that, this was a fascinating book. The end left me wondering what the future holds for these ladies. 

I must rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was free of errors and thus exceptionally well edited. I must applaud the author for coming up with a creative name for this book. I would gladly recommend this book to lovers of fly fishing. It is definitely a book they would enjoy. I also recommend this book to anyone who loves to read stories about friendship.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”