Review of on the fringes of perception

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of on the fringes of perception

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "on the fringes of perception" by Fox Deur.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On The Fringes of Perception by Fox Deur is a fictional memoir surrounded by paranormal phenomena. This book questions the reality of life and the religious beliefs that we have been taught. Angelo Novak thought about killing himself with a gun at a young age. At 12 years of age, he dreams about his death and sees himself as his killer. He dreams about his father’s death before it happens. Angelo was raised by his grandparents and read many of his grandfather’s library books about numerology and divination. Their housemaid, Fausta, tells him African folklore stories that make him question his religious beliefs. He starts to believe that he has been reincarnated and wants to know about his past life. He decides to try self-regression hypnosis to learn about his past life. Does the hypnosis show him his past life? Should we know the details of our past lives?

This book has many enjoyable aspects to it. I found it interesting that the Brazilian religion, Quimbanda, has African roots that deal with black magic spells to harm and protect. Many of these practices involve animal sacrifices. This book is not a fast read because it contains many thought-provoking concepts. For example, some individuals believe religion is a conspiracy and that religious doctrines hide the truth from us. Is there life after death? Most religions agree that a soul does not get resurrected until a specific time has passed. Where does the soul go when it is resurrected? This book gave me a better understanding of how people feel when they go to a new country to live. In their homeland, they are considered well-spoken and intelligent, but in their new country, they are considered illiterate. This has to be difficult and demoralizing for them.

I disliked nothing about this book, although I did not necessarily agree with everything it proclaims. A professional editor has edited this well-written book. The author smoothly tells two stories within one book. What do I mean by that? You will have to read the book to find out.

I gladly give this book 4 out of 4 stars because the few errors I found were minor and did not distract from my reading enjoyment. There is no reason to give this book a lower rating.

I recommend this book to open-minded readers interested in romance, religious theories, hypnosis, and the paranormal. This book discusses different religious and non-religious views, so I believe it is suitable for anyone who wishes to read it. The borderline profanity in this book is minimal.

on the fringes of perception
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

This sounds like a fantastic book and I am particularly looking forward to reading about Quimbanda. Thank you for the review!
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

I wonder if he'll see into his past life. Thanks for the review.
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

The paranormal genre has always fascinated me. Angelo Novak is experiencing dreams that ring true. His planned suicide, his father's death, and many other dreams. How does Brazilian magic have African roots? The story delves into Religion and other related issues. What happens to one's soul after death. What does it mean to migrate to another country? Are you treated the same when this happens? I am intrigued by this book. My experience traveling to other countries has been work-related. I want to find out about some of these experiences.
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

Being a religious person I still enjoy books that help me question my beliefs and sharpen my perspective. A religious person should not be afraid of a book that allows him think deeper about his beliefs and faith. This is a great book.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

You have included many interesting details in this review, I feel very well informed. Thank you. I like to read books that represent beliefs in other cultures and learn about the origins of them.
This book gave me a better understanding of how people feel when they go to a new country to live. In their homeland, they are considered well-spoken and intelligent, but in their new country, they are considered illiterate. This has to be difficult and demoralizing for them.
It seems like the book offers some worthwhile insights regarding the experience of people who are wrongly judged in this way.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”