Review of Challenges of Christian Marriage in African Culture

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Review of Challenges of Christian Marriage in African Culture

Post by Lucy Vera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Challenges of Christian Marriage in African Culture" by Sylvester Oyeka.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Challenges of Christian Marriage in African Culture, Sylvester Oyeka gives detailed descriptions of Christian marriages and marriages in the traditional Igbo setting providing similarities and differences between the two types of marriages. The book aims at examining the virtues in both kinds of marriage and bringing them together to create universally accepted virtues for sustainable unions.

The book starts with an introduction to African marriage, which the author says is marriage not based on love but primarily based on continuity and procreation. This marriage is often seen as a marriage between two families where the bride is sometimes referred to as "our wife" by members of the kindred. He moves on to talk about Christian marriage. The author describes Christian marriage as a marriage based on love and a personal decision of the spouses. He talks about the problems Christian marriages face in a traditional Igbo setting. Read this book to find out more.

I love what Sylvester was able to create in 86 pages, and I am always glad to see writers who can pass across their messages in a few pages. The book contains beneficial information as the author aims at sieving out good virtues from the two types of marriages that he discusses in the book. The author appeared to have a vast knowledge of both kinds of marriages and even gives examples of practices in some parts of Nigeria. He provides references for his work, and I found it very informative. At the end of the book, he offers other valuable research areas that he could not fit into the book due to time constraints. This reiterates the fact that he cares about his readers.

I liked the author's use of rhetorical questions in the book. It made it appear authentic. Throughout the book, he emphasized the importance of love and commitment to marriages. I loved that he did not make marriage appear like a relationship without problems but instead provided ways by which these problems can be curbed or resolved.

Although I liked this book, I was not satisfied with certain things. Firstly, the title of the book gives the idea that the book discusses the challenges of Christian marriages in African culture, but the book only talks about the challenges in Igbo traditional marriage. Also, I found the book repetitive. The author could have added different things in the book if he did not repeat a lot of things. This made me a little frustrated while reading the book. I found a lot of errors in the book; it was not professionally edited.

Due to the negative aspects stated above, I am compelled to deduct some stars from my rating, one star for the errors and another star for the repetitive nature of the book. I rate this book two out of four stars.

I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in marriage, whether married or single. It teaches a lot of lessons about marriage which I feel will be beneficial to anyone. Although the book mostly concentrates on Christian marriages, the virtues which the author draws out will be useful to anyone, whether Christian or non-Christian.

Challenges of Christian Marriage in African Culture
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

Good book with an amazing review. I've learnt a lot about this novel just by reading this review. Well done on an amazing review. Lessons to learn here
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

Great review, it should that marriage isn't all bed of Roses and it comes with its challenges and one need to brace up.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

The title of the book says a lot about the information the book contains. I would love to read what the author has to say about how the challenges Christian marriages face or could face in Africa.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

I love educational and informative books. I would learn a lot about the Christian and African marriages from this book. Thank you for this review.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Sylvester Oyeka is actually an intelligent skilful author. I think it is commendable that she was able to bring the Igbo culture and marriage culture to the fore and highlight them into a book like this. Aside from the book, I enjoyed this review and I would look forward to reading it.
Tony Official
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-official.html
Latest Review: America’s Loveless Age: Trumpism, FemPower, the End of Patriarchy by Noel Terry

Post by Tony Official »

So this book has just 86 pages? I love short and interesting books. The fact that I would also learn a lot about the two marriages in his book makes it a total package for me. Thank you for this beautiful review.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

I like that I would learn alot about Christian marriages from this book. I would like to also know he challenges involved in a Christian marriage. I also like that the book is a short read.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”