Review of JAKE

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
akshi porwal
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: JAKE by Tom McBride

Review of JAKE

Post by akshi porwal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "JAKE" by Tom McBride.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jake by Tom McBride follows the spiritual, mental, and physical journey of two characters. Lana came to the United States of America as a child. The dark past of her previous life haunts her. Now, a crisis has occurred in her home country, and supernatural entities are causing havoc. She must immediately leave everything, including her boyfriend, Rand, and return back home. She must learn everything that has gone on in her country since she left. She must also connect with spiritual forces to be able to lead her people towards freedom. The book simultaneously follows Rand’s journey through Europe as he embarks on a mental and spiritual journey of self-discovery and change.

The best part about this book is the plot itself. The story is well built and fascinating. The book encompasses many mythical characters as well as concepts. The author makes the possibility of such fictitious elements existing in our world seem plausible. All the supernatural elements have been given possible and achievable reasons. McBride himself was an avid traveller. This is reflected well in the details of Rand’s travels.

The language used in the book is quite unnecessarily complicated. The jargon used is too complex for an average reader. A reader has to read the same sentence multiple times in order to grasp its meaning. The scenes and characters are not well developed. I was left dumbfounded at the lack of reaction by characters in many bizarre situations. The dialogues between characters are not realistic and sound monotonous. The reading experience also seems stretched out due to unnecessary details, while the crucial scenes are not well built.

I would give Jake 2 out of 4 stars. The plot is quite unique and can even be written into a series of books. However, the author needs to work on his writing style and character development. The book does not seem to have been edited by a professional, as the text was riddled with inconsistencies. The book is difficult to read and follow.

The book promotes many right-wing principles like gun freedom and denies global warming. The author also emphasises religion and spirituality a lot. Readers sensitive to such topics should stay away from this book. On the other hand, readers of the same beliefs should go for this book. Enthusiasts of the fantasy genre can also try this book. Children should be advised to avoid this book, as the book covers mature themes.

JAKE
View: on Bookshelves
Latest Review: JAKE by Tom McBride
smoothcrowd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smoothcrowd.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by smoothcrowd »

The review of the book started nicely, was anticipating giving the book a try; thus I'm saddened as to how it turned out.
Thanks for the accurate review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Before Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 505
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really enjoyed reading the review. At the beginning, I was looking forward to reading this book. Rand’s travels and the mystery that Lana faced really intrigued me. It’s unfortunate that you encountered so many problems with it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”