Review of Seidon's Tale

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of Seidon's Tale

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seidon's Tale" by Bill VanPatten.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seidon's Tale by Bill VanPatten is a fictional story about Jake Hewitt, who does not get close to people, uses women, and has commitment issues. Seidon is an older man who claims to be the Greek God, Poseidon, the King of the Seas. Seidon claims he will die if he does not get to the ocean, or at least to a river that flows into the sea. Jake feels sorry for him but believes he is a delusional older man that someone is probably looking for. Jake decides to take him to the nearest town and drop him off at a hospital. He does not have time to take him to the Gulf because he is running from his ex-girlfriend's husband, who wants him dead. Follow Seidon's and Jake's journey as they travel the back roads of Texas and learn about each other. Does Jake take Seidon to a hospital or the Gulf? Is Seidon a Greek God?

Bill VanPatten has done a fantastic job with character and demographic development. I could easily visualize each character, whether it was the modern Jake or an ancient Greek God. Zeus's lightning bolts from his fingers that destroyed trees and mountains were vivid. The chapters flow smoothly between Jake's story and Seidon's, with an appropriate illustration at the beginning of each one. It was interesting to learn how Zeus became the King of the Heavens, Hades the King of the Underworld, and Poseidon the King of the Seas. Readers can learn many lessons from ancient Greek mythology. My favorite was "how often we judge people by first impressions, by what we see on the exterior." For example, Cyclopes were considered hideous, ugly creatures, but all they wanted was love and kindness. There is also humor in this book. For example, a waitress claims calling Seidon an "Old Timer" is an endearment, and Seidon responds to her with his endearment of "Plumb One."

Overall, this is a delightful book without any negative aspects. There are only a handful of errors that a professional editor could have easily missed.

I gladly give this professionally edited book 4 out of 4 stars for the reasons listed above. This book has a well-written and fast-paced plot that does not deserve a lesser rating.

I recommend this book to mature adults who enjoy reading about Greek mythology and romance. Sensitive and younger readers need to know that the book has religious content that contradicts common religious ideologies, non-borderline profanity, and sexual content that involves homosexuality and incest between the Greek Gods. If this type of content bothers you, you may want to avoid this book.

Seidon's Tale
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

An interesting Greek mythology based book "Seidon's Tale" by Bill VanPatten, which follows a unique journey of Jake and Shieldon, both having opposite character. Nice book to read.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

This book sounds interesting, I would love to read this book and to find out alot of thing from the characters. Great review.
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Akinola John »

I will love to read the book to find out more about what happened between Seidon and Jake. Thanks for the review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Jake’s journey seems to be the opposite of Seidon’s. I, too, wonder if Seidon is just a delusional old man. His knowledge of Greek mythology ores to contradict this, though.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would definitely like to find out if Seidon is a Greek God! :) I love Greek mythology and always try to read books based on it. Thanks for a great and insightful review!
Ruth Frances A
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

This is an interesting review. Greek mythology seems key, with Seidon telling Jake he is the Greek god Poseidon. Hmmm, well, mysterious. The review points out Jake’s skepticism and I like the uncertainty of it all. The craftiness and the mystery surrounding the story.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

A book on the greek god Poseidon is definitely something interesting. call me biased but this book is a must-read. looking forward to it.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'd like to know where Jake takes Seidon too. Your review has piqued my interest. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”