Review of Between Two Rivers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review of Between Two Rivers

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Between Two Rivers" by Tina Beattie.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Between Two Rivers by Tina Beattie takes us to Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) in the second half of the twentieth century. It is still under the control of the whites, but Ian Smith's regime is shaken. Africans are not allowed to get a proper education. Working Africans can't even bring their families to the cities. There are segregation, injustice, and misery. But the world of white people is corrupted by lies, violence, and hatred.

Morag Cowan, a young medical student, takes a break from her studies and comes to Africa from the post-WWII Scotland "to make a difference." She's a self-proclaimed "atheist Jew and Marxist." She starts working as a medical assistant to Dr. Jim Sinclair. Morag befriends his daughter, Jenny, and meets her housekeeper, Beatrice. Jenny is a talented pianist who threw away all the opportunities she deserved to marry Bruce, a former hunter and safari guide. Bruce beats and rapes her as she lies to herself that there is still love in their relationship. Beatrice is a strong Shona woman. She takes care of Jenny and even protects her when needed. But she is haunted by the ancestral spirit, Mbuya. This spirit tells her the truth she's not ready to accept.

Meanwhile, twenty years pass by. Morag dates David. He is a good friend, but he is also secretly in love with Jenny. Morag feels a growing danger in the air. She decides to leave Rhodesia when an unexpected meeting with a young Catholic priest, Benedict O'Connor, changes the course of her life.

I liked the characters masterfully crafted by the author. Jenny is a perfect example of a domestic violence victim. She suffers enormously but always finds excuses for her abuser. The author slowly guides us to the explanation of her irrational behavior. There's an ocean of pain in Jenny's life, and only a brave and sympathetic reader would dive into it. The development of Morag's character is brilliant. She comes to Africa like a young idealist. Eventually, she learns to look away when something horrible or wrong happens. But Morag is too honest with herself to continue living like this. So she decides to face the challenges openly. Her example is heartening. There is also a beautiful romance described in the book. Overall, the book is an emotional read that has a mystery explained at the very end and even a paranormal element. Also, the book raises the hard questions about the acceptable boundaries of the freedom fight. I would add that the author's love for African people is palpable.

I disliked that Beatrice's part was so short and scarce. I would prefer to have a deeper look into the disasters that plagued Rhodesia and Beatrice's struggles from her perspective. We can say that Beatrice's character is "larger than life." At the same time, this character blends into the background, becoming secondary.

Nevertheless, I don't think that the mentioned flaw is serious enough to reduce a star. So it is my greatest pleasure to give this outstanding book 4 out of 4 stars. Any lesser rating wouldn't be appropriate because I found only one minor punctuation error, concluding that the book was professionally edited.

I recommend this book to fans of historical fiction, psychological prose, romance novels, and the genre of family drama. It would appeal to those interested in the themes of social injustice, women's rights, and the fight against racism. The book is for a mature audience as it has scenes of violence, some strong expressions, and examples of the racial slur peculiar to Rhodesia. The book touches on the religious topics to outline the spirits prevailing in Rhodesia in that period of history. In my opinion, they are rather descriptive by nature and could not be seen as offensive to anyone.

Between Two Rivers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by honeybear_11001 »

Seems like a delightful read. Thanks for the wonderful summary and review. Can't wait to read it and find out more. I love the cover.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Your review has piqued my interest. I'd be adding this to my shelf. Great review.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

honeybear_11001 wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 05:35 Seems like a delightful read. Thanks for the wonderful summary and review. Can't wait to read it and find out more. I love the cover.
Thank you very much for your comments! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Raymond N wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 06:52 Your review has piqued my interest. I'd be adding this to my shelf. Great review.
Thank you so much! :)
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Your review makes me want to read this book; it sounds like it has a lot going for it. Thanks for your recommendation!
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I wish that more of us, myself included, felt empowered to stand up when we saw something wrong happening. Good for Morag.
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

Great review. The book is really captivating and the review is exceptional. I look forward to reading this book.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

This book seems to have a lot to teach me. The way you describe the characters made me appreciate the book. I would want to read it. Beautiful review!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Thanks for your detailed review! It makes one want to read the book. The mystery and the paranormal element mentioned only adds to its appeal.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Stellah Chege »

I love books that have this kind of setting. I love learning about colonialism and how it must have been for the victims who were stripped of their freedom. Great review
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Prisallen wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 09:10 Your review makes me want to read this book; it sounds like it has a lot going for it. Thanks for your recommendation!
It's an exceptional book :) Thanks so much for your comments!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

chege wangui wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 12:58 I love books that have this kind of setting. I love learning about colonialism and how it must have been for the victims who were stripped of their freedom. Great review
Thank you so much!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

C Janet wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 14:23 Thanks for your detailed review! It makes one want to read the book. The mystery and the paranormal element mentioned only adds to its appeal.
Thank you very much for your comments! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

khaulah wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 00:08 This book seems to have a lot to teach me. The way you describe the characters made me appreciate the book. I would want to read it. Beautiful review!
Thank you so much!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”