Review of The Attractiveness of Wisdom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Review of The Attractiveness of Wisdom

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Attractiveness of Wisdom" by Judy Kelly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Attractiveness of Wisdom, by Judy Kelly, follows Hamilton Maddox, a dean of a college of education. He wanted his family together despite his wife's infidelity, but she ensured that the divorce became final. Hamilton was really devastated by the divorce. Heeding the advice of people close to him, he went on leave immediately. He had to adjust to his new life, as a single man with two children in college and one at home for now. To get rid of his harrowing thoughts, he took a trip to Hawaii.

In Hawaii, Hamilton met a woman, Anita, who urged him to make a promise that henceforth he would reach out to people, take a risk, and go on with his life. Hamilton returned to Maryland, and his son talked him into helping at a dance studio, where he met some interesting people. Did Hamilton succeed in keeping his promise? Did he take the risk, and was it favorable?

The Attractiveness of Wisdom is engaging and well written. The author provided rich descriptions of events and scenery, especially the dance lessons. Moreover, the story flows smoothly, even though it includes backstories involving Hamilton's parents, relationship with his wife, and so forth.

Involving the Christian faith, the book contains some life-changing lessons. I love how the protagonist, who was a controlling person, discovered himself and changed into an undemanding person. In addition, the conversations are intriguing. I like the way Hamilton interacted with his kids. However, the book includes the loss of loved ones. Hence, sensitive readers may not want to read it.

However, though the story is coherent, some parts of it seemed somewhat flat, particularly the dance narratives. I guess I didn't enjoy those parts because I prefer watching people dance to reading the narrative. Besides, for me, though the story shows how Hamilton got over his divorce and got a new life, I didn't see any extraordinary events until towards the end of it. Furthermore, it ends with an unpleasant event, which I think the author should have avoided. The other way around would have made the story more exciting. Anyway, that's the author's storyline; she wanted her story that way and she narrated it in a coherent manner.

Regarding the characters, they are lifelike and relatable. The author gave enough details about their personalities, backgrounds, and looks. I love Hamilton. He's a nice and strong man. I appreciate how he handled the divorce issue and the things he did before he got back to his professional work.

Finally, I rate The Attractiveness of Wisdom 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because it's engaging and enlightening. It has a solid plot. I didn't enjoy some parts, but fans of ballroom dancing, including the tango, will love those parts. Besides, the book was well edited, although I saw a couple of typos. It'll be a great read for anyone who wants to overcome an unpleasant experience and go on with their life.

The Attractiveness of Wisdom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

I admire Hamilton for trying to keep the family together despite his wife's infidelity. One shouldn't dwell on the past for too long. I hope he takes the risk, if not for anything, for the sake of his children. My question now is why it didn't end well after such a sad beginning. It all depends on one's perception.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

The title of the book speaks volumes. I would love to find out if Hamilton was able to keep his promise.
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

The importance of wisdom cannot be over-emphasized. I see myself reading this book.
Ajiboye Shola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiboye-shola.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ajiboye Shola »

Wisdom is the principal thing so one should endeavor to get wisdom and get understanding. The book is indeed a pointer. thanks for the review.
Tiago Oliveira
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tiago Oliveira »

The title of the book speaks volumes. I would love to find out if Hamilton was able to keep his promise
Mathurambiga Maniom
Favorite Book: Shiver
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mathurambiga-maniom.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mathurambiga Maniom »

I am not going to lie, this book indeed captured my attention by its amazing plot, I do love reading stories that are interrelated to our own lives. Therefore, based on the review, I'm sure that I would not be disappointed reading this book. I cannot wait to read it anyways!
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I enjoyed reading every bit of this review. This is a work well done by the author. Thanks for the review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Moving on after suffering a heartbreak is usually difficult. I'm curious to know if Hamilton was able to take the advice. Great review.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Mbenma Esther 080 wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 03:14 I enjoyed reading every bit of this review. This is a work well done by the author. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome and thank you, Esther. :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”