Review of A Particular Friendship

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Are You Coming Back? by David S. Watkins

Review of A Particular Friendship

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Particular Friendship" by Paul Van Der Spiegel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Particular Friendship, by Paul Van Der Spiegel, is the fourth book in the author’s The Queer Testament series. It’s a fictional work that tells the story of Father Thomas Morton, a gay, middle-aged Catholic priest working in the English diocese in which he grew up. The title of the book refers to Tom’s relationship with his friend and former lover, Antony. It is an echo of the term one character in the story uses to describe the friendship of St Francis of Assisi and a man many scholars have identified as his romantic partner.

Bussell is a fictional former coal mining and mill town in the north of England. With its undercurrent of homophobic attitudes, it’s a tough place to grow up gay. It’s also tough to be a gay priest in a faith that condemns homosexuality even while so many of its own clergy are gay. The narrative centers on Tom’s struggle to reconcile his sexual orientation with his religious beliefs and the homophobia of so many within his own social and professional circles. It’s also about one man’s struggle to be true to himself. His friend Antony urges him to come out of the closet. Should he be honest and declare his sexuality, or should he continue to hide his real nature for fear of condemnation? In the end, Tom must choose a side.

I enjoyed this book on several levels. As someone brought up in the Catholic faith, I recognized and felt comfortable with the author’s frequent use of Catholic liturgy and prayers. Reading the words of a Latin hymn, I was transported back many years and found myself humming a tune I thought I’d long ago forgotten. The author’s use of these words of worship not only adds realism to the narrative but also provides a framework for the dialectic between characters on moral and spiritual issues.

I found that dialectic interesting. That doesn’t mean the book is a cold, intellectual exercise. The characters are fleshed out, their various storylines are given the attention they deserve, particularly the relationship between Tom and Antony. This is aided by how the book is structured. The narrative moves between Tom’s life as a younger person and his life in the present. We not only see Tom grow and mature but also other characters in the story, too. The result is a tale spanning decades that successfully fuses past and present into one seamless narrative.

The book has undoubtedly been professionally edited. I found a handful of minor errors, mostly to do with the use of apostrophes, but these weren’t enough to distract me or spoil my enjoyment of the story.

I am happy to award this book four out of four stars. It is an intelligent novel that challenges the world’s attitude to gay people and, more specifically, the attitude of traditional, conservative Christian churches to same-sex relationships. I recommend this book to readers who like their fiction to address big issues like God, life, and human nature. It has at its core a gay love story, so people who are uncomfortable with same-sex relationships might be wise to pass on this. The book also contains strong language and sex scenes, so it’s not a suitable read for children.

A Particular Friendship
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 634
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles by T. August Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

When are we, as a society, going to begin to allow people to be who they are and not force then to hide?
Rose Popie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-popie.html
Latest Review: The Binding Stone by Liz D. Marx

Post by Rose Popie »

What an interesting review this is. However, I will pass on this book as it's strong language and sex scenes. Thank you for an informative review.
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: The Parrot's Perch by Karen Keilt

Post by Reading_Jack »

this book sounds interesting. however, I don't think I would read it as it might not be relatable.
Jubayer Ahmed 3
Bookshelf Size: 0
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jubayer Ahmed 3 »

It’s an interesting story. I wish it’s comes true. I would like to try it.Thank you to give information.
Last edited by Jubayer Ahmed 3 on 01 Mar 2022, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
BLESS_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bless.html
Latest Review: Yeshua by Dave Anthony

Post by BLESS_ »

Nice review. I love the fact that this book talks about friendship.
Latest Review: Yeshua by Dave Anthony
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I enjoyed reading every bit of this review. This is a work well done by the author. Thanks for the review.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 88%

Post by Raymond N »

Great to see works of fiction addressing pressing real life issues. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”