Review of The Inquisition and Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice in Scotland
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: Cupid's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 360
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: The diary of hakim jones by Joseph Massenburg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: ButterscotchCherrie (Official Reviewer Representative)

Review of The Inquisition and Other Stories

Post by Alice in Scotland »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Inquisition and Other Stories" by Michael Tabor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

[Note: This is a re-review; a different review of this book by me has also been published earlier. ]

How might love inspire you? What lengths would you go to for love? How would you catch up with an old flame if a stroke had left you unable to talk? That situation is the premise of "Cinderella", one of the tales in the fiction anthology The Inquisition and Other Stories by Michael Tabor. The stories star poets and their muses, artists and their models, old flames and newly kindled romances. The settings range from Victorian England to Nazi Germany to unremarkable offices in the present-day United States.

So the diversity of this collection was a delight. I was also impressed by the author's erudition. As well as demonstrating medical knowledge in "Cinderella" and "The Inquisition", he conducts readers to the worlds of the great paintings in the Art Institute of Chicago in "Blue Guitar". Meanwhile, he serves up a tasting menu in "Table Talk". In that story, a waiter shares the details of each meticulously crafted course with his wife Amy, not forgetting the perfect wine pairings. But what really intrigues Amy is the mysterious figure of Robin who features in the diners' conversations as relayed to her by her husband. When the truth was revealed, I was as broadsided by the plot twist as I was moved by the narrator's love for Amy.

Indeed, Tabor's mastery of that short story staple, the dramatic pivot at the end, was on full display in this collection. The best of these twists made me dizzy. A story featuring a spectacular example of one of these, "Russell Square", was fewer than ten pages long, also demonstrating Tabor's gift for conciseness. Some endings were not quite as striking, meaning that those stories had less impact. However, all of the stories without exception were written in vivid, sensual prose, with characters that popped off the page and dialogue that rang true to life. Besides love, there were many other underlying themes such as the tension between art and reality, and individuals' preoccupation with avoiding the fate of becoming a nobody.

In that connection, words and their meanings were important, and many titles represented a play on words. This contributed to the extraordinary uniqueness of every short story in this polished work so that I have no reason to give it anything less than a perfect rating. I rate this book a richly deserved four out of four stars.

I recommend it to those who enjoy short fiction. It would be a good fit for those with some knowledge of classical literature and art but could also be enjoyed by those who would learn something from it. Owing to quite frequent profanity and sexual references, this is more appropriate for a mature audience.

The Inquisition and Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves
Pronouns: she, her
ButterscotchCherrie (Official Reviewer Representative)
bhattuc
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, second edition
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhattuc.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by bhattuc »

I like short stories and would consider going through this book. As per the review stories seem to be quite interesting and has reminded me the stories written by Jeffrey Archer. Anyway, this comparison would be known better only once I read this collection. Thanks for the excellent review.p
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
BLESS_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bless.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by BLESS_ »

This book is made up of different themes. I love how the reviewer expensively discusses the content of the book in the review. Awesome review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I don't like reading a sexual content book. Thanks for the review.
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Squeeze Plays
Bookshelf Size: 666
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

Being a fan of well-engineered short stories, I can't wait to read about those dramatic pivots you speak of. I am also eager to meet Tabor's versions of Cinderella and Robin.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”