Review of Always Before Me

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Feliceness
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feliceness.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Review of Always Before Me

Post by Feliceness »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Always Before Me" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We live in a cruel world. In spite of this, I have come across people with the same dedication to obedience and service to Christ, as the characters depicted in this story. If I had not, I may have categorized Always Before Me (A Story of Mercy and Salvation) by Dennis Servant as a fairytale. This story, documented as fiction, enlightens us on how the choices we make along our paths in life can build or destroy. The theme of service to Christ unfolds through the challenges faced by Father Paul and Father Anthony. These two priests confront difficult issues in their lives and end up behind prison walls because of them. Though neither had an easy destiny to fulfill, both committed their lives to spreading and sharing the word and love of God to every inmate, guard, and even warden who would listen.

The characters of Father Paul and Father Anthony are convicted for different reasons. A criminal confesses to Father Paul that he murdered two people. Father Paul made a choice not to break his vow of confidentiality for the murderer. He was indicted and agreed to take a plea bargain because he would not break the confessional seal. He was sent to prison for twenty years. While imprisoned he makes a choice to continue leading others to receive salvation in Jesus Christ through faith and repentance. He eventually meets Father Anthony who was wrongly accused of making sexual advances toward a female student. Father Paul, through his words and actions, teaches Father Anthony how to strengthen his faith. They work together and face adversity behind bars, leaving no doubt of the power they stand for.

I rate Always Before Me a 4 out of 4 stars.

What I liked most is that the story is short and to the point on how Father Paul had such a great effect on others through Christ. It did not matter that he was in prison. For a time, he was able to fulfill his duty by making a small area within the prison a place for worship. Despite his outlook of sharing and kindness, there was still someone attempting to make him falter and bring him down.

What I liked least is the lack of dialogue in the beginning. I thought I was missing information regarding Father Paul’s journey before he came to prison and his connection to Father Anthony who had recently passed away. John, the nephew of Father Anthony, came to the prison to pay his last respects and collect what his uncle had left him. He is referred by a fellow pastor, Father Richard, to Matthew. Matthew is a teacher and psychologist for the prison. He was a friend of Father Anthony and begins to explain his uncle’s trials and tribulations, and how God’s mercy was his saving grace.

My disappointment was rectified when I found that the story is quickly paced in the first few chapters to get to the heart of the story of what happens when Father Paul is sent to prison. Matt describes the friendship between Father Paul and Father Anthony. Father Paul helped Father Anthony to forgive and grow in faith as they worked together. Father Anthony was able to carry on the duties and responsibilities of Father Paul when he passed away. Both sacrificed worldly wants and desires to follow the steps of Christ. Temptations are everywhere, even behind bars.

This is an inspirational book for anyone on the path, searching for the path, knocked off the path, or even never heard of the path to Christ. Jesus taught among the criminals and sinners. He did not shun them. Father Paul and Father Anthony followed the will of God humbly through prayer, supplication, and meditation. Their story is for any faith, any denomination, or anyone needing encouragement on how to stand strong for what is the truth and choose to make changes within.

I do not agree with praying to saints. They are only human beings too. However, praying to God through His son Jesus Christ has changed many things in my life. Always Before Me solidifies the fact that God’s word is everywhere. If those behind bars can choose to follow Christ, become stronger in their faith, and make changes in their lives, what excuse do I have in my freedom? We are given a choice in how we decide to react to whatever challenges we face - wherever we are. The power of God’s reach can be anywhere - it is omnipresent.

Always Before Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:reading-6: Feliceness Means Happiness
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

This is a book covering interesting satire on the lives of priests and their interaction with law while performing religious duties. A precise review, thanks.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechukwu-fortune-njoku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku »

I also read this book. It is quite an interesting piece. Thank you for the beautiful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”