Review of Ghosts in the Toolbox

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: The Old Man's Poet by Christopher Eng

Review of Ghosts in the Toolbox

Post by Purplesturv »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ghosts in the Toolbox" by Dini Armstrong.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ghosts in the Toolbox and other nonsense is a collection of flash fiction written by Dini Armstrong in no sequential order. The author explored several relatable themes ranging from fantasy, ageing, birth, death, romance, grief, heartbreak, abuse, parenting, self-discovery, adventure, etc.

This genre is unique, with no particular focus on plot or character development. Each tale was rendered in the most absorbing, inexplicable, or dramatic way that evoked emotions and reality. Some stories had surprise endings or shocking reveals, while plot twists characterised others.

The author’s writing style is very impeccable. The plot is straightforward with very little or no backstory, conveying strong emotion or disposition. The characters in most stories were limited to two, and the author opted for original figures of speech, beautifully crafted to create humorous and intense stories. She also included beautiful illustrations done by Sarah Armstrong, which bolsters the meaning and visualises the nano tales.

My favourite tale is “A Shooting Star”. I liked how the author subtly hinted at the press’s damage while using figures of speech to describe it. I resonated deeply with “Thirty Birthday Cakes”. It made me think deeply about how both parents and children help raise each other. It was refreshing to learn that justice was served in “Elizabeth Hopkins Did Not Cry”, especially since it is based on a true-life story. I particularly liked that the topics were random, and their titles were not limited to a few words. And although they were concise, mostly less than 60 words, they were thought-provoking, and they mostly sent powerful messages across.

Nevertheless, I thought a few stories lacked direction, and I didn’t find them relatable. Also, in ‘The Hotel Lift’, the author referred to irritable bowel syndrome with the abbreviation IBS. The author should have included the full meaning either in the text or as a footnote for people who might not be familiar with the condition. Another discredit is that the pages are not numbered.

Despite the aforementioned woes, I would still rate Ghosts in the Toolbox and other nonsense four out of four stars. The author's ability to express exciting and relevant ideas in such few words is highly commendable, and it made the book a fascinating read. I did not encounter any errors, so I would say it was exceptionally edited, and the illustrations did add meaning to the succinct yet powerful stories. This is my first read in this genre, and I totally enjoyed it. I would recommend it to literature lovers, whom I feel would have a deeper connection with the book, and adult readers who are up for a quick, enthralling read.

Ghosts in the Toolbox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Before Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t really like short stories and the title did not make the contents clear. You did, however, and I’m sure it will appeal to others.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

The book though brief and diverse in content seems to pass exciting and intriguing messages to the reader.....very nice review
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Wow this book must be amazing, what attracted me was the other none sense stories you mentioned in your review. It's a must read for me.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
BanditO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by BanditO »

Although many might disagree, I love short stories. Sometimes they move too fast or have unsatisfactory endings, but they are still a wonderful read.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Raymond N »

This would appeal to people who like short, simple and fun stories. Great review.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:

Post by Purplesturv »

BanditO wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 02:46 Although many might disagree, I love short stories. Sometimes they move too fast or have unsatisfactory endings, but they are still a wonderful read.
I totally agree. Thanks for dropping by.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:

Post by Purplesturv »

Raymond N wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 03:54 This would appeal to people who like short, simple and fun stories. Great review.
Thank you🙂
Ronnie Comendador 1
Bookshelf Size: 0
2022 Reading Goal: 2
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ronnie Comendador 1 »

Adventure, fantasy,death, romance,self discovery, parenting,heartbreak etc. what a combination in a unique way with a 4 out of 4 review i think this is a great story.cant wait to read it..thanks for the review..
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:

Post by Purplesturv »

Ronnie Comendador 1 wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 23:08 Adventure, fantasy,death, romance,self discovery, parenting,heartbreak etc. what a combination in a unique way with a 4 out of 4 review i think this is a great story.cant wait to read it..thanks for the review.
You should read it. It's an exciting quick read.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:

Post by Purplesturv »

Apple 7 wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 16:53 The book though brief and diverse in content seems to pass exciting and intriguing messages to the reader.....very nice review
The messages are indeed valuable. Thank you.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:

Post by Purplesturv »

Apple 7 wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 16:53 The book though brief and diverse in content seems to pass exciting and intriguing messages to the reader.....very nice review
The messages are indeed valuable. Thank you.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”